Wednesday, July 4, 2018

I'm From America!

So it's a sultry and warm July 4, a Wednesday this year, and all is well. I awoke early and caught up with Norman at LOL -- he just scored a major victory for his client in a med mal trial, and I enjoyed hearing the details as his opponent is probably my least liked fellow Miami PI lawyer.  And as I drove home, I reflected on the meaning of today, and a delightful memory came to me...involving D2 at Epcot, in Orlando. She was probably about 4.

Wifey and I disdain theme parks, but when the Ds were small, Florida law required we visit them often.  One summer, the Ds must have been 7 and 4, and we took them to EPCOT, the fake European park. But as we learned, 4 year old D2 thought she had traveled to some strange, international destination.

We were at some sort of show, and the performers asked the visitors where they were from. The answers came: "Chicago. New Jersey. Indiana..." The performer came over to us and held the microphone to D2, who figured she needed to represent her nationality in this foreign place. She answered, ebulliently, as only D2 could, "I'm from America!"

Of course, everyone laughed at this adorable little girl's exuberance.  I remember hugging and kissing her, and saying "That's right, sweetie."

A lot of the FaceBook (tm) chatter this year from my lefty friends says, essentially, "I don't want to celebrate the 4th this year because of Trump and what he has done."  Really?  What a bunch of nattering nabobs of negativism, as Spiro Agnew used to call the press.

I see things oppositely -- I damn sure do celebrate our country -- precisely because one of our sacred freedoms is the right to be a moronic voter -- and many people exercised that right in '16.

Our country will be just fine. The pendulum will swing back, as it always does, and Trump will be an embarrassing memory.  Yeah -- abortion rights and gay rights will suffer under his Supreme Court picks, but eventually that'll wash out, too.

And, about the only thing I recall from Constitutional Law at the U, which I hoped would be an exciting class that became a snorer with an onerous professor, is that you really can't predict what a justice will do after they join the Court. I mean, Roberts, supposedly W's wet dream as an appointee, essentially ok'd Obama Care.  So maybe the Trump appointee won't be wanting us to become a real life version of "The Handmaid's Tale." We'll see.

But more urgently, we have to figure out this evening. Mike and Loni are taking the shuttle to the Biltmore for fireworks accompanied by the Miami Philharmonic. We may do that. Wifey has been trying to finagle an invite to our friend Diane's condo in the Grove, to sit on her terrace and watch several displays. So far, Diane is MIA.

We may do nothing -- that's an older American's prerogative.  Freedom -- to act, or do nothing.

D1 and Joey are aloft as I write, appropriately returning from the UK. D2 and Jonathan are in Long Branch, NJ, celebrating the 4th with friends.

Wifey and I will make a fireworks time decision.

All I know is, I'm extremely proud to say I'm from America.

No comments: