Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Dad's Pregnancy

So last year, on my birthday, I had a health scare. I felt some tightness around my chest, which I called Dr. Eric about, and he ordered me immediately to see a cardiologist in South Miami. It turns out that tightness in the chest is more worrisome to a cardiologist than pain is.

Harry, Eric's friend, was out, so I saw the senior man there, Dr. Yale Samole. He gave me a full dye stress test, and pronounced my heart and vessels completely clear. But he jabbed my belly and said "stop playing roulette."

I didn't -- not really. But then the Ds had a major intervention with me, tearfully pleading that I stick around for grandpa duties, and it resonated. My buddy Kenny was the member of a local gym, and I started going. I moderated my diet, and despite 10 days in France, am now down 11 pounds, and feeling much better.

The gym owner, Enrique, is a great guy. He politically suggested that maybe I wasn't keeping up with the mostly 20 something fellow classmates, and might benefit from some personal training. He was completely right, and today I had my first session.

He is my guru now.  We picked a weight I wish to be -- the hardly svelte 200 lbs, and set a date -- 9 months hence. As he said, it'll be like a pregnancy, only in reverse.  He handed me two 25 pound dumb bells, and had me walk around, then drop them. I felt like dancing with the new sense of lightness. Exactly, Enrique said -- that's the point.

So I am committed. Enrique is taking a 19 day vacation to Europe, and we scheduled sessions around it.  I really dig him -- he's only 30, and already has a very successful business.  It seems to me like the kind of business than might be franchised -- he has a very sleek and modern approach to fitness.

I plan to see him once per week, and continue the group sessions with Kenny.  And by next tax day -- well, maybe be ready for some fly new clothes.

Enrique asked why I thought I was overweight.  I wish I had a deeper reason -- food as a substitute for love, or some self image problem. But I just LOVE food and love to eat.  I love pizza, and burgers, and gourmet food. I love fish and fowl and beef, and bread, especially bread and pasta.

But I will eat better and smarter -- under the guidance of an expert dietitian who happens to be D1.  And combined with exercise -- well, I look forward to birthing the bouncing 200 pounder next Spring.

No comments: