Sunday, July 22, 2018

Sailing...Takes Me Away...

So we confirmed the trip with Captain Russ, and his first mate and wife Susan. Wifey and I drove to Bayside, which was PACKED. I haven't been there in awhile, and it was awash with cruise passengers lined up to buy daquiris, and shopping in the small stores. We were happy to see it was doing so well.

We walked to the marina, and up sailed the Captain Sir.  I started off early by trying the Ketel botanical I brought -- lovely grapefruit taste. Eric and Dana soon followed, and then Barry and Donna as well. We greeted each other with hearty Ahoys! and off we motored.

We passed party boats packed with scantily clad, extremely hot young women. Dana remarked "Hey -- they look just like us!" We all laughed.  We toasted Barry and my birthday with prosecco Eric brought, and toasted out long time friendships.

Captain Russ sailed us past the gorgeous Miami skyline, which is truly spectacular. I played my tour guide role -- pointing out new buildings, and restaurants. 

We sailed under the Rickenbacker Causeway, and Captain Russ and Susan brought out plates of cheese and the most delicious fruit we ever had. All asked where they got it -- Costco came the reply. I guess eating stuff while sailing has that effect.

We continued South, and had pecan crusted chicken, then filet on toast, and delicious tuna cooked in Russ and Susan's mango chutney -- from mangoes in their backyard in Miami Lakes.  As the sun set, there was key lime pie, of course.

We floated as the darkness descended. The breeze was exquisite. In my mind, I was went back to the first time I was on Biscayne Bay in a sailboat -- the 11th floor of my dorm and the 11th floor of the women's dorm chartered a boat my freshman year. We sailed and someone played guitar. A fierce squall soaked us all, but the heat dried us all soon after. I fell in love with the city that night, and knew I'd never leave. 39 years later, I'm still happily here.

We caught up on our kids' lives. Of course, the Ds are with great guys, and Eric and Dana's are married and living with a girlfriend. Barry and Donna's oldest has a lady friend, too, a fellow Terrapin J school student -- Wifey tried her hardest to get the D/L about her from Donna, but Donna proved a reluctant witness...

Around 9:30, Captain Russ sailed us back to Bayside -- the now glowing skyline was a scene out of a dream. I've read that the top 3 skylines in the US are now NYC, Chicago, and the 305 -- ours is the most colorful, of course, with neon on the buildings, and a big electronic mural of a young woman dancing that plays on the side of the Intercontinental.

We docked, and said thanks and goodbye to Captain and Susan -- we left refreshed and not at all hungry.

Now Bayside was even more packed -- bands playing loudly from the restaurants -- a rock band playing in the center -- Doors and Creedence workeably done -- salsa everywhere else.

We said adios to our dear friends, and drove home, thinking that we really, really need to be on the water more.  Maybe we will...

No comments: