Friday, May 4, 2018

Politicians

My friend Kenny, probably my smartest friend in terms of pure brain power, has begun a mission.  He is more appalled by Trump and company than anyone I know, and he's putting his money there. He received a very handsome payout recently from the sale of his medical practice, and is putting a lot of money into Democratic races nationwide.  He has come to believe that there is no longer such a thing as an ok Republican -- by supporting The Donald, he feels, you essentially lose any moral authority. So he's sending checks all around, strategically, to try to return some normalcy to our country. I applaud him.

I'm far more skeptical of politics.  I donate, or have, but much prefer to give money directly to charities. Part of the problem is that I have a major problem with many extreme liberals -- they tend to be fervently anti Zionist, which to me means anti Semitic.  The DNC nearly elected Keith Ellison as its Chair -- he's a buddy of Louis Farrakkan, and always pictured with Palestinian leaders. Had that happened -- it would have been an easy call for me -- no more money for them. But a more moderate guy won, so the door remains open.

I typically donate for personal, friendly reasons. Our neighbor Annette ran for Congress, and hit us up for money. We donated, even though she took on the one GOP-er I like -- Ileana Ros. Annette was beaten, badly. Money wasted -- next cycle, to atone, I actually contributed to Ileana.  As a result, I now get mail from all manner of wacky GOP folk -- asking me for money for nutcases all over the country. I toss them.

Well, as it happens, Ileana is retiring, and her seat will probably go to a Democrat.  My buddy Joel was pressed into service to support Mary, a former judge and competent, though unexciting, candidate. Out of friendship to Joel, I contributed -- first at the beginning of her campaign, and again a few weeks past, at a fundraiser.  Problem is, in the primary, Mary faces Donna Shalala, former UM pres, and a way better known and better funded candidate.  I figured she'd lose, but maybe give the ancient Shalala a run. Now I KNOW Mary is going to lose.

Last night she announced she was switching races, to take on an incumbent GOPer named Mario Diaz Balart. His district is mostly Hialeah -- which is solidly Cuban, and solidly Republican.  Mary announced she wasn't giving Mario an "easy pass" to election, and she figures the anti Trump sentiments will help her and hurt Mario.

Not going to happen -- not remotely. Mario can campaign wearing a Che Guevara hat and posters showing him hugging Fidel, and he'll win. He's a favorite son of that district. Mary will lose by historical numbers.

So I wasted money that should have gone to charity -- UM, FIU, our local Rabbi, JCS, or, when Wifey makes the call, to dog causes.

In a way, I guess I should be thankful. The wasted money was relatively small -- sort of like the guy who decided to be a pro horse gambling dude, and loses and gets out before it wrecks his life.

I have a friend who years ago told him that a friend who borrowed money and didn't pay it back was a fine thing -- for small money, the deadbeat taught who he really was.

So now I'll get to watch the elections, and just shake my head. Anyone with sense knows politics is a pendulum -- it will swing away, naturally, away from Trump and his posse. It'll do so without my wasting any more of my money.

No comments: