Monday, May 14, 2018

Everything's Quiet on Mother's Day

So MD for me actually lasted the weekend. Saturday Mirta and I biked 5 miles to South Miami, and secured a table at the newly opened deli Hank and Harry's. We were joined by Paul and Alex and the two grandkids, and Wifey made a surprise appearance.

After lunch, Wifey left for errands, Mirta and I biked back, and later Paul and Alex and the kids came by -- for some more fun and a bath in our enormous tub, which has gotten more use in the last year than it has in the 18 years prior.

All left, and I took my favorite kind of nap -- the one surrounded by dogs, as baseball drones on the TV.  Wifey left for the Grove, where she was volunteering for a big fundraiser for her charity Paws4You, which runs a no kill shelter for hard to adopt dogs.  The guest was some "Real Housewives of NY" Italian woman, who spent time in prison, thereby earning real street cred. The event apparently raised a good amount of money.

At 9 I got a call from young Vince, who was hosting his mother Pat for MD weekend. They had attended a graduation party for Vince's nephew/Pat's grandson who just got his law degree from the U, and were already in Coral Gables.

They came over, I poured some martinis, and we chatted. Pat's a beautiful septuagenarian, originally from the Bronx, who met her husband in Queens, and he rose up the music world, moving to LA in the early 70s.  Pat was lovely company -- we shared tales of NYC, and LA, where my parents got married. Vince is the youngest of 7 kids, and Pat's clear favorite.  She now lives in South Carolina near one of her sisters, and has another sister in NYC.  Vince is the only S Fla kid, but she loves to come here to visit.

Sunday I woke up and made breakfast in bed for Wifey, my babymama.  She appreciated it, and I checked the status of the watch I bought her -- making its way from a dealer in NYC.

Later, D1 and Joey came over, and we just hung about and talked. We had planned to drive to Matheson Hammock to visit my Mom, but the rain kept us away.  The young folks left, and Wifey and I drove to the Palace -- to visit my ancient suegra.

She was strong as ever. Her short term memory is gone, but other than that  - she's on the upswing. I'm pretty sure yesterday was NOT her last MD.

So the day passed, and all was well. The summer rains have come.  D2 and Jonathan booked their next trip home -- coming around Memorial Day for a week. They have a wedding to attend, and D2 needs some down time surrounded by her puppies, the strange rescue and special needs Spaniel.  Oh, and a late greeting to Wifey for MD...

No comments: