Sunday, May 20, 2018

Oh, I Hear Sirens in the Rain

So I went out for my morning constitutional, even though the skies were threatening.  Apparently I'm supposed to, at the minimum, walk multiple miles each day.  So I took a plastic bag for my phone, and off I went, into the happily not sweltering morning.

I caught up with Paul, and then D1 clicked in, telling me horror stories about the stupid new Brightline train that runs right outside her apartment. The thing sounds its, um, train horn beginning at 630 each morning, not only waking her but shaking her apartment so forcefully it wakes you with anxiety. 

I'm smelling some major litigation -- as this train boondoggle depresses property values all up and down the S Fla corridor, especially to the gentrifying areas near the FEC tracks.  Happily, D1 and Joey should be moving by late Summer, and their new house seems to be far enough East of the tracks that their torturer won't have an effect -- though their in laws, living in Morningside, indeed do hear the whistles...

I was ambling down 131 Street, and a light rain began. All of a sudden, I heard a very rare sound in my 'hood -- a police siren. I looked around, and sure enough, a Pinecrest patrol car was speeding -- right towards me. It pulled in front.  I made sure to hold my cellphone very visibly.  The officer jumped out -- no gun drawn.  "Sir -- did you call in a medical emergency?"  I answered that I did not -- but apparently the house right where I was standing did.  He wished me good day, and right behind him there was a MDC firetruck.  They were going inside a house where I thought the people had moved. I hope it's not too serious.

I continued my walk.  All of a sudden, the skies opened.  I put the phone into the baggie, and rambled on.  It wasn't torrential, like a summer storm, but rather pissing down, as the Brits say. I true soaking rain.

It felt delightful.  I passed a neighbor, under his overhang, and he yelled "Hey --it's raining you know!"  We both laughed.  I was totally soaked -- but the temperature was perfect, and I felt like I was taking a vigorous, public shower.

I neared my house.  Neighbors Monica and Steve were outside on their porch, enjoying the shower.  "Hey Dave -- you do know it's raining, right?"  Yes, I responded, another neighbor informed me a block past.  We laughed, too.

I got to my door and stripped off all my clothes, walking inside totally naked to Wifey's laughter. I pre-empted her -- yes, I know, it was raining.

It occurred to me that getting caught in the rain, especially when you're wearing workout clothes, is a true pleasure.  You feel like you're a king of the world, and the Big Man is washing you, surrounded by glorious nature.

I need to start walks under threatening skies more often.

No comments: