Thursday, May 31, 2018

Having the Ds Both Here

So we fetched D2 on Memorial Day, and have been enjoying a great week with her here. On Tuesday I took her to Brickell, and lunch at Casa Tua, the excellent new food court across from my office. She took my car and met her sister for the mandatory sister mani/pedis, followed by dinner with her sister and brother in law.  I hitched a ride home with John, and it was a nice opportunity to catch up with him.

Yesterday D2 implored me to put on workout clothes, and I complied, and we took off on a lovely 6.5 mile bike ride. We went south, to the Deering Estate property, over the Chinese bridge. We stopped at the Starbucks near Deering, and had a lovely how's life? talk.  Then we came home, changed, and were off to the Health District, to watch D1 give a nutrition talk in the newly opened Jackson Food Hall (these things are popping up all over Miami).

D1 was fighting a cold, but was a trooper -- went on like she was fine. Dr. Barry joined us, and I forced him to have a cocktail with me. D1's longtime friend Brian was there -- he's finishing up Internal Medicine residency, and wants to become a GI doc. He loved chatting with Barry -- Brian's program director is Barry'd dear friend, and we had a delightful evening surrounded by accomplished young people.

Today is a rainy day, again, and D2 and I are simply hanging about, as the Brits say. She's leaving later for a dinner on Brickell with some old friends. Tomorrow D2 and I are actually taking an exercise class together -- a novel activity for us. We're then meeting D1 and Joey in the Gables for our secular Shabbat dinner.

I absolutely love having both Ds home. We're blessed with our closeness.  She's here until Sunday, and I plan to savor the remaining days. We're then headed to NYC in July -- D2's man Jonathan's sister is getting married in Jersey.

And as a great bonus, Eric and Dana will be there the same weekend, as will Barry and his crew. Barry's boy Scott is interning in NYC this summer.  We plan to have a great reunion the Saturday we all have free.

So maybe there's something better for an empty nester than having the baby birds back in the nest, but if there  is, I don't know what it is...

No comments: