Sunday, April 1, 2018

Seder 2.0

So after a lazy day at home, Wifey and I fired up the SUV and headed north again, for another seder.  We were invited to our adopted extended family -- the Frankels, for seder 2.0

They have a gorgeous house, on La Gorce Island in Miami Beach. They have a huge waterfront lot, and we drank cocktails looking across the water at North Bay Village. D1 and Joey were there -- to D1, Danielle is a big sister and mentor.

The mood was light. I FaceTimed D2, and she got to see her old friend Grant, who was visiting from NYC. I panned the camera around the beautiful bay -- further enticing D2 to come on home. I think she needs less and less enticing.

The catered meal was delicious. Paul tried to lead the service -- many of the guests focused on their catching up talks, but Paul did get the message across about the meaning of Passover.

I ran into a family friend, Brian, who has lived in Morningside for 18 years, and we talked about his 'hood. He loves how central it is, and the fact that he, a trainer, can easily bike to Miami Beach. I don't think that'll be important to me, and he reminded me that, unlike Pinecrest, the surrounding neighborhoods are still pretty dicey, so you have to pay attention lest crime find you.  Ah - decisions, decisions...

So now Passover is done for us.  We attended two seders -- the second pretty secular. The holiday goes the whole week, but there will be zero following the no bread rule on Friday -- we have reservations at one of the best Italian places in NYC -- Carbone's in the Village.  I'm pretty sure they won't have matzah there...

Wifey is happy -- her BFF Edna is driving down tomorrow from ATL, and will meet Wifey at an event D1 is putting on in Wynwood -- some health fair thing. Edna's Dad is in hospice, and this may be the beginning of the end for him, but, as we learned from my Mom and Wifey's Dad, there is a lot of porpoising at the end -- death comes when death wants to come.

And Wednesday, Wifey's other great friend Elizabeth is coming from Orlando. She has a family reunion, and will be watching our pups when we leave Friday for NYC.  I invited her to dinner at Shula's Wednesday night -- Elizabeth told me she has become vegan, and also eats fish. I told her I was sorry to hear, but that with therapy and other interventions, she might get back to attending the Palm in no time...

So it's a busy week here, and a true family reunion in NYC at the end of it. The weather in NYC might be a bit rough, but we'll be thrilled to be together. A fine, fine time of the year...

No comments: