Thursday, November 30, 2017

Storm Season Ends

So today is the last day of the 2017 hurricane season.  I was reminded of this during my am walk by my friendly neighbor and his Pug, Bailey.  I have resumed the power walking, and better eating, at the strong request of my Ds, who want me around for awhile.

I had been walking a lot, and eating better, in order to fit into my custom tux for D1's wedding.  But then along came Irma, and the tumult it caused, and I got away from the healthful ways.  But I'm back now, baby...

Anyway, it's good to be done with the tensosity (my friend Alan's neologism) surrounding hurricane season.  And Irma was a royal pain -- fleeing to Atlanta, hotel stays Downtown and then the Gables, uninsured cleanup expenses exceeding $10K.

But as I walked around the 'hood this am, I realized that, 2.5 months after the cyclone, there's barely any sign anything happened.  Most of the fallen trees have been cleaned up, and only a few fences remain un-repaired.

Appropriately, my roof guys are coming later this am, to fix the 6-7 tiles that got crushed by falling trees.  I called Infinity, the great company referred by my buddy Norman, and they told me it might be awhile before they could get to my small job.  I was patient, and they called last week and promised they'd come by after T Day.  Sure enough, they called yesterday and said today was the day.

I like the symmetry of it -- the last storm repair happening on the final day of the season.

Turning to Hurricanes, instead of hurricanes:  I leave tomorrow afternoon for Charlotte, the Boring City, in order to attend the ACC Championship game.  My friend Mike scored some fine Club seats, and he, his sister Jeannine, and our law school friend Peter are all staying at the South Park Hotel tomorrow night, with reservations at Del Frisco's for some steaks and martinis. No potato or bread for me.

Wifey passed on the trip on account of the expected game time temps: in the 30s.  It turns out her BFF Edna is coming to town, so Wifey will somehow survive the grief of my 2 night absence...

Hopefully the Canes pull another upset and win the ACC, and then advance to the championship playoffs.  Even if they don't, it's been a great year -- we'll play a top team in the Orange Bowl as a consolation.

All I know is, it's great to deal with Hurricanes, and not hurricanes.  As our coach and my contemporary at the U in the early 80s, Mark Richt would say -- it's life in paradise.

No comments: