Friday, November 24, 2017

Peruvian/Colombian T Day

So D1's new brother and sister in law, Bob and Vera, invited us all to their lovely new house for T Day.  For the past 10 years, I've taken the family to various local restaurants, to avoid the hassle and work of the day, so yesterday was a first homestyle in quite awhile.

Wifey and D2 and I left early, to meet D1 and Joey at the site of a house they're looking to buy -- a development of new construction homes, 18 in all, right by Miami's historic Shorecrest neighborhood.  And so we met, in a light rain, and looked around.

I walked to the model, which was closed, but opened the door and set off the alarm.  Fortunately no police came to wreck our TDay celebrations.

We drove the short way to Morningside, and Bob and Vera's house, and the cooking was in full swing.  Vera is a PhD candidate at the U, but her Mom Susie was a famous baker in Lima, Peru, and clearly the talents were passed on.  We had a true feast, topped off by amazing desserts.

But more importantly, the warmth of Joey's extended family was so beautiful.  His parents and brothers have truly made us a part of their family, and we're privileged for that.  Joey is taking us all to Colombia in late January -- we'll celebrate D2's 26th birthday there -- and his Mom Jackie, during her last visit to Bogota, actually walked to the hotel where she wishes us to stay, to insure that all will be perfect for the visiting gringos...

I thanked Vera for hosting, and she said she was a bit concerned, since this was the first "real American T Day" she had ever had.  Last year, she only had her new Colombian family, along with her Peruvian family, and "they really don't know any better." I assured her that, if I didn't know any better either, I would have assumed that she grew up in the Midwest -- so awesome was the traditional T Day feast she had for us all.

We came home, and D2 had some serious bonding time with her little man Spaniel Bo, and we watched "Gone With the Wind" together.  The turkey (and Stoli Elit) got to me, and I left for bed -- I sort of know the ending to GWTW, anyway.

Today I looked most forward to nothing except watching my Canes play their final game, at noon, but, alas, Fate had other plans.  Wifey and I will be driving up to Far West Broward, for dear Norma's funeral.  Norma's daughter Elissa and her family all came in from New Jersey last night, and Eric and Dana, of course, canceled their T Day in Boca.

So we'll surround our brother and sister in love, and hopefully support them as they bury their Bubbe...

I'd really, really rather have just stayed home to watch TV...

Tomorrow, the feasting continues -- D1 and D2's dear friends Nicole and Scott are home with their Mom Missy, and each year Missy hosts a post T Day brunch.  So there'll be MORE food, and reunion, and laughter.

I promised D1 I'd start eating less, but reserved this final weekend before embarking on the renewed journey to better health.

Speaking of D1...may amazing and accomplished daughter turns 29 on Monday.  She politely refused offers of a birthday dinner -- she just returned from her honeymoon, and T Day, and all that...

But I insisted, so we'll meet in the Grove tomorrow night, to celebrate 1/2 of Wifey and my greatest blessings.

If Norma's sudden death reminds us of anything, it's to NOT hold back on life celebrations...

So what a day it was, yesterday.  Vera sent us all home with leftovers, of course, lest we forget her amazing hospitality.

If there's a man who has more to be thankful for than I...well, I don't know who he is.

No comments: