Monday, November 20, 2017

Oh No...There Goes Tokyo

D1 and Joey returned from a honeymoon of a lifetime -- two weeks in Japan.  They loved the trip -- amazingly exotic, and hilarious, and interesting.  I had asked for one souvenier: a Godzilla mug or t shirt.

As a kid, I loved Godzilla movies.  My friend Eric and I would sit at his house on Saturdays watching them on tv.  Eric knew all the characters, and as the future engineer he was, loved to point out the absurdities of the movies.  Still, for pre teen boys, nothing in cinema could compete with a cast of atomic monsters destroying cities, and then, with the addition of Mothra and Rodan, each other.

Now D1 and Joey are looking to buy their first house, and a lot of the talk here is all about that.  We're planing to gather at Joey's brother and sister in law for T Day, and I'm sure the discussions will continue.  The young couple takes things seriously, as they ought to with such a big purchase, but I keep telling them that decisions about good things, about the future, and the best decisions to make.

Yesterday, Wifey and I shared a monumentally lazy Sunday.  We were both so tired because of staying out until the wee hours the night before, we didn't even make it to the Palace to see her mother.  She'll go this week, instead.  D2 needs to visit anyway -- maybe a Wednesday stop is in the plans.

So I met with D1 for lunch on Wednesday, and she gave me some stuff to take home, including my authentic, bought in Japan Godzilla shirt.  I put everything in my trunk and forgot to bring it inside the house, until yesterday.

I shall wear my shirt with nostalgic pride, and hear the lyrics of the Blue Oyster Cult ode to Godzilla in my head: "History shows again and again when nature points up the folly of men."


No comments: