Sunday, April 16, 2017

We Really Need to Go More Often

So yesterday was a fine Saturday.  I was up early and met my brother Norman at LOL -- we had a bunch of catching up to do, and our lady Lori took great care of us.  I wished Lori a happy Easter, and asked her plans -- she told us her husband was religious, and would go to sunrise services, and then they'd visit their favorite restaurant, in Key Largo, the Lazy Lobster.  She went on and on about how great it was -- she went at least once per week, and Norman and I were interested.

We are both very suggestible.  When someone tells us about a great place -- we want to go, sooner than later.  We both filed away the information, for future use.

I returned home, and Wifey and our house guest Elizabeth were hard at work gardening.  Elizabeth loves to do it, and now that Wifey has jump started our landscaping, the two went to Home Depot and bought stuff to plant and hang on trees.  I helped a little -- lifting the heavy pots, and hauling away the trash.  I told the ladies that, later in life, essentially the only real reason to have a man around is to lift heavy stuff, and maybe reach places typically shorter women can't.  They agreed.

We all took afternoon naps, and then Norman texted -- how about a visit to the Lazy Lobster.  Elizabeth had a family reunion, and Wifey and I had plans to attend a small gathering at Mike's, but I could tell she wasn't thrilled about the sports watching and drinking get together, so I said, sure, why not.

So we fetched Norman and Deb, and were off to Key Largo.  It's so close for us in South Dade -- we were at the restaurant in 35 minutes, after driving the beautiful Overseas Highway from Florida City.
Lori had told us to tell Dave, the owner, she had sent us, and we did.  Out came a delicious, complimentary shrimp cocktail, on the house.  Finally -- something good for rich, white people, I thought.

The meals were delicious.  I had a tuna steak which was the best I ever had.  Norman felt the same about his stuffed shrimp.  They only had wine and beer, so I opted out of adult beverages, and Wifey and Norman and Deb shared a great coconut cake -- I have pledged to avoid dessert until D1's wedding -- giving me a fighting chance of being less huge for that event.

The breezes were delicious.  A guitar player sang James Taylor, and Pink Floyd.  Thankfully -- no Jimmy Buffet.  We laughed and talked of long marriages and travel.  It was a delightful evening.

As I drove home, a huge red ball of a sun was setting into Florida Bay.  It occurred to me how much I love the Keys, and how seldom I visit.  I guess I just take the place for granted.  I need to change that.

My favorite time to visit Key West is summer -- it's hot as hell, but less crowded.  $600 per night rooms at Ocean Key House are $250 per night.  Maybe Wifey and I will cruise on down for a few days -- martinis at the Chart Room, dinner at Bagatelle, and b reakfast at Blue Heaven all beckon.

In the mean time, it was a lovely stay cation day.

No comments: