Thursday, April 27, 2017

Maybe I'm Amazed

So today was a normal Thursday -- went to the office and moved a pile of papers from one side of the desk to another...But my partner John was planning on leaving early tomorrow am -- his daughter Elizabeth was set to graduate from UF this weekend.

Lizzie is a terrific young woman.  Her Mom died when she was 13, after a tough battle with melanoma.  John was an excellent Dad and Mom at the same time -- Lizzie wanted for nothing, and did well in school, and was accepted at her Dad and Mom's alma mater.  Seems like yesterday John was moving her to Hogtown, as we affectionately call Gville, and now Lizzie is ready to accept the sheepskin at the O Dome.

Of course, it brings back poignant memories for me -- D1's graduation in '10, and D2's college graduation in '14, and MS graduation in '15.  For NINE straight years I traveled to Gville -- most of the time for great reasons, though D1 and D2 each had me visit for a couple of scares -- health, in one case, and matter of heart in another.  Still, the graduations were awesome days, and I'm glad John is getting to experience one for his girl.

I invited him out tonight for a toast in his girl's honor, and we chose Town, in South Miami.  We hoisted a few adult beverages to his daughter, and to how lucky we are as Daddys in the USA, of daughters who have given us so much joy.  Lizzie has a post graduation job -- at Amazon.com, and next month she'll learn where she will work.  It's a narrow choice -- one of only 30 states.

 At Town, I ran into Julie, D2's great friend's Mom.  Julie has a son who graduated UF, a middle son who is there now in law school, and a baby boy headed there to start school this summer.  Julie is a Cane like I am, so we made fun of our "underperforming" kids...  Ha.  As if.  I know personally of several kids accepted to Ivy League colleges and rejected by UF.  Getting in there is a very tough order...

I came home to an empty house, but a full email box.  One email got my attention:  a pre sale for tickets for Paul McCartney's maybe final tour.  His is opening the tour at the AAA in Miami.  General tickets go on sale Monday, but as an AMEX Platinum holder, I could buy them now.

Well, maybe I'm amazed, but I went on line and bought 4 -- in the lower bowl, for face value.  I emailed D1 about them -- she and her man LOVE McCartney, and the tickets are now spoken for.  D2 told me last night she thought about coming to Miami 7/4, but is coming later in the month.  I figure to keep things fail, I will now have to take her on a shopping trip mid July.  Dad knows how to keep both Ds happy...

So this Thursday turned out to be a rather special one.  I sent my buddy John off to Gville with the proper toast, and scored 4 great tix to Maca.  Not bad...not bad at all...

No comments: