Sunday, April 9, 2017

Early Morning Airport Fetch

So for a mere $1000, and deft use of computer keystrokes, D2 snagged the final seat on a LGA to FLL flight on JetBlue, to make it in time for her sister's get together.  The other downside was arrival time: around 1 am.

Well, I like to think I specialize in turning lemons into Arnold Palmers, so I contacted still single for the weekend Dr. Barry and asked if he wanted to have a late dinner and see a late movie.  He did.  And then, showing life still holds surprises, Wifey said she'd go, too, even with the late hours.

We drove up to Eastern Shores, and met Barry at a fine Lebanese place, and shared great entrees.  We then drove a bit East, towards the old Castaways Hotel, now a tall condo, and found the IPIC, the luxury theater.  We saw "Get Out," the dark comedy by Peele, and all three of us liked it a great deal.  It ended at 12:40 am, and D2 called -- she had landed at FLL.  We said goodbye to our dear friend, and cruised up the I to FLL.

There was lots of tensosity at the terminal, with folks honking and being angry, I guess due to Delta's effect on all travel, but we found a smiling D2, and hit the road home.  There was mercifully little traffic as we neared the wee small hour of 2.

D2 had a joyful dog reunion, with the strange rescue, her special needs Spaniel, and the spoiled Spaniel, who has been staying with we grandparents for a few days.  We all fell asleep a bit after 2.

I popped up around 8, as the light came into my room.  I had my coffee and fed the dogs, and then brought wake up coffee to Wifey, and a wake up Nespresso to D2.  They left the house at 10 for D1's barklorette party.

D2's prediction for my day was accurate: full on chill.  I read the Sunday Herald, which takes a solid 20 minutes given its sparseness, and then took a regal nap to a Smithsonian show about military planes.

At 2, D2 and Wifey and 2 of the dogs returned, and all immediately headed for nap land as well, after telling me the Dogya, or dog yoga party, was a success.

When they rise from the naps, we'll head to the Palace for D2 to visit her grandmother, and get to see first hand the comically miserable roommate Lee.

Tomorrow I'll drop D2 at her sister's place, and then head to the office for a bit.  I'll then fetch Wifey, and then the Ds after their sister bonding day, and head up to Paul and Patricia's for their seder -- a catered affair preceded by a Seder Happy Hour that ought to put us all in the mood to consider freedom.

It's terrific to have both Ds in my jurisdiction.  Years ago, when we sued a local company for products liability, we got to take the deposition of a very charming and impressive CEO, who wasn't happy about being sued, but realistic to know his insurance would be paying the damages for the made up liability case we brought.  His name was Arnold, and during questioning breaks, I spoke to him.  He had grown up kids.

I asked where they lived, and whether they were far flung, like so many grown kids I had heard about.  He laughed, and said no, all kids and grandkids were REQUIRED to stay in "his territory" -- he adored them so much, it was simply unacceptable for them to live more than a few hours away.  I dug that answer, and wish to implement the same rule, especially after there are grandkids of the human variety, should we be so blessed.

For now, it's just a delight to have D2 here -- well worth the wee small hour airport fetch.

No comments: