Saturday, April 22, 2017

Banner Night For The Parental Units

So it was a happy and busy Friday.  I got my monthly haircut by Dania, and while waiting had a great talk with a fellow waiting for his wife.  He's 80, and retired from Publix after 40 years with the company, and he regaled me with tales of Publix on Miami Beach back in the day.  I said goodbye as Dania finished with his wife, who is either demented or unfriendly, as she walked past the both of us without saying a word.

Then I powered the little girlie Caddy to Brickell, where I FedExed the closing condo papers to the Boca legal assistant, who is named Marcia with a very Jewish last name, and without meeting or talking to her, I know EXACTLY what a Boca paralegal with the name Marcia Goldbergsteinowitz looks and sounds like.  From there it was to North Miami Beach for a power lunch, business meeting, and then I drove back home to await our guests.

D1 and her man Joey were coming for Shabbos dinner, although they were delayed and ended up coming after candle lighting times.  Wifey also invited her friend Diane, who is going through a rough personal patch, and Diane brought two bottles of champagne which she and Wifey largely drank.  I was very impressed.

Joey DID say the kiddush prayer for us, and we munched on takeout Lebanese food -- chicken, salmon, and lamb, which was all good, and we caught up with the very busy lives of the two young folks.

And then Joey told us something D1 had forgotten to mention, as D1 is not at all into sports.  But she was hired as a consultant to a VERY high profile Miami organization.  Wifey and I melted.

D1 and Joey left for Midtown, and Diane and Wifey got down to brass tacks about womanly stuff, and then D2 called.  Since it was late on a Friday, I assumed her call would be some kind of tax or finance or health insurance question, but it wasn't.  She merely wanted to share with me an email she got from her supervisor, which said, essentially, that in the two months she has been with the company, they are blown away by her.

I wasn't surprised, and D2 seemed happy, but not ebullient.  But that's her -- though I could tell that affirmation of her hard work and skill thrilled her.  She was with her first grown up job for over a year and a half, and never got an email like that one, from that dying giant company.  Looks like a different deal here.

So Wifey and I cleaned up the party dishes, and then walked the dogs, and then I landed in bed, still happy from the Ketel martinis I had poured.

But mostly, I was a proud, happy Daddy in the USA.

No comments: