Saturday, December 10, 2016

The Most Delicious Burger

So Wifey took the strange rescue dog and spoiled special needs Spaniel and fled.  Her friend Edna was here from Atlanta, and spent a few nights with us, but then I guess they figured they wanted time without any Y chromosomes, and so Wifey went to Edna's parents' condo in Hallandale.

After 2 nights away, she was due back yesterday, but decided to stay up in Broward until after traffic was thin, so I had a THIRD night as a single man, with no dogs, even, to worry about letting out and feeding.  It was Friday, and so Happy Hour beckoned...

I joined my friend John and his date Mari downstairs at Trulucks.  The place was packed -- lots of middle aged folks looking for love and laughter.  John, Mari, and I talked about our daughters -- I have two, John and Mari each have one.  All are Gators.  John's girl is the youngest, and set to graduate in May.  We toasted our awesome girls, and the challenges in raising them as single parents...but wait, I said, I DID have a co parent.  We all laughed...

I beat an exit, leaving the two singles to do whatever single folks do after Happy Hour, and I headed back to Pinecrest.  I was hungry.  I thought another martini might be in order.  I've been trying, at the Ds' request, to eat healthier, and so my burger consumption has diminished.  But it just seemed that my last night as a single guy wouldn't be right if I had a salad.  So I drove to Shula's 347, in South Miami, where they have the best burger in town.

The place was also packed -- couples, mostly, but also packs of hungry looking cougar-type women.  I had zero interest.  I took a seat at the bar, eyes straight ahead, or on the large screen TVs...

The nice young zaftig bartender came over.  I ordered a Stoli martini, to nurse for my time there.  And then I ordered the signature burger -- the Shula French onion job -- the meat a mixture of prime ground beef and brisket.  I ordered the sweet potato fries, in a small homage to health.

The burger came.  I ate it, slowly, without the usual conversation one shares at dinner -- at least in my case. I was taken aback by how delicious it was.  I liked that the bartender was so zaftig -- she would have no judgment about my cleaning the plate.  I tipped her generously.

As I finished the martini, I reflected on what it would be like to be a single guy of my age.  It wouldn't be so bad...

I texted Norman, my brother in burgers.  Sure enough, he had been out of town, and found a Shula's, too.  He ate alone, but they didn't have the French Onion model -- he settled for the bleu cheese.  It is also a fine burger...

I guess I rarely eat dinner alone, and when I do, it's takeout at home.  Sitting at a nice place, by myself, is unusual for me.  I rather enjoyed it.

I drove home, and the house was blissfully quiet, but not for long.  Wifey came home -- dogs in tow.  I wasn't ready to give up the solitude.  I decamped upstairs, and fell asleep on our bedroom balcony, as the delightful night breeze fed my dreams...

Edna left, so Wifey will be here now for awhile, I guess.  It's not too bad -- she brought me a healthy bowl of yogurt and fruit and nuts and honey for breakfast.  The burgers will remain far and few between.

But the memory of last night's -- well -- I will savor it for a good, long time...

No comments: