Saturday, December 24, 2016

And So This Is Christmas And Chanukah...Well What Have You Done?

Ah, the holidays...other than several years when we'd bring the Ds to visit my sister and brother in law, who put on a Christmas display to rival a decent sized store -- my family makes no big deal over them.  And that suits me just fine...

So much about Christmas seems to be about STUFF -- shopping, wrapping.  Other than my childhood, where I coveted stuff as much as the next kid, I never really went in for it.  I used to say I prized my books and records.  Now, most of my reading is done online, and with satellite radio and the UVerse music channels, it's rare I listen to a "record," if they even still call them that.  I truly care about, oh, 20 books -- a Robert Frost collection I was given when I won English student of the year in 1983 at UM, high school and college yearbooks, "Tuesdays with Morrie," which I figure I need to keep to re-read if the end grows nigh -- the rest of them can be given away and I wouldn't care.  And photos -- most of them are electronic now, too --I'll eventually get around to sending the many albums to the recycling bin.

Still, I realize I'm in the minority.  Yesterday our law firm had its holiday lunch, hosted by Stuart.  The receptionist Wendy asked if I was done with all my Christmas shopping.  I told her I was all set -- instead of being truthful and saying I don't do any.  10 of us walked across the street to a restaurant called Tamarina -- gorgeous space, ok food, absurd service.  Stuart, who paid for the whole thing, got his meal a good 25 minutes after we had all eaten.  When he spoke to the manager, she said she'd "make things right."  That included a round of sparkling wine no one really drank.  I think that'll be the last meal at that place.

In years past, when Paul and I ran our firm with staff, the holiday lunches were loud and raucous.  We were truly close with our staff, and they were all close friends outside of the office.  Yesterday's "celebration" was nice -- the staff appreciated the meal, and then left for their families -- most complaining that they still had "shopping" to do.

When I was in high school, I was close with a girl named Debbie.  Debbie's Dad was Italian, and her paternal grandparents were wonderful people.  They'd invite me over for Christmas Eve, and share a bountiful table of cold cuts and fish and pasta.  The family was so close, although after I moved to Miami, I learned that Debbie's parents had divorced -- like so many of my friends' parents who simply waited for the kids to finish high school before going their separate ways.  Still, those are lovely memories for me.

When the Ds were little, my in laws would come over, and Rachel would fry up delicious latkes.  We'd give them gifts, and light the menorah, and sing the songs they had learned at the JCC and Chabad Hebrew School.  One year, we went to a Chanukah party at our friend Mona's house -- her mother was a fellow Holocaust Survivor and card playing friend of my mother in law.  Genia made her latkes -- the most delicious I had ever tasted.  I went on and on about them, and my own mother in law heard.  The old woman always said she liked me a lot but never really did -- I have a feeling that my latkes betrayal had a role in that.

Today, D1's fiance is off to sky with his buddies, and D2 is due to arrive at MIA around 6.  D2's man is coming from NY in a few days, so this first night of Chanukah it'll be just the four of us -- like the nights of their childhood.  We'll light the menorah, and bring in some dinner, and sit around with our surfeit of dogs.  I can't wait.

Tomorrow, Wifey has a major birthday.  We have reservations at Tropical Chinese, at 5.  Dr. Barry and his family will join us, as will Norman and Deb.  Yesterday at lunch, our young associate Vince mentioned he was just staying in on Christmas night -- no plans.  His family is in LA and North Carolina, and he just visited for T Day.  He's Irish Catholic, and I told him it was Jewish tradition no NOT allow a Christian to be alone Christmas night -- so he may join us at Tropical, too.  I told him he'd run into many of the judges he knows -- a good portion of South Miami Dade Jewry goes to Tropical each Christmas, and since Vince lives in South Miami now, it'll be a short drive.  I hope he comes, too -- the more the merrier to celebrate Wifey's birthday.

So: shopping:  none done: check.  Decorating:  none done, except for putting the electric menorah in the window: check.

We're all ready for the holidays.  As for me and MY house, we celebrate Wifey...

No comments: