Monday, December 19, 2016

Sleigh Bells Ring...Are You Schvitzing?

The Holidays are nearly upon us, and it's still very hot in Miami.  Thankfully, the humidity ("yoomidity" as Wifey says) is lower, but the heat is still here.

Yesterday, we drove the little girlie Cadillac to Coral Gables, to meet Wifey's friends Cara and Ronnie, for lunch -- an early celebration of Wifey's birthday.  We parked a block away, and walked past the shops playing holiday music -- including "Let it Snow."  Ain't no snowing yesterday -- it was 85.  But there was a decent breeze...

Cara and Ronnie were to see "Million Dollar Quartet" across the street from Hillstone, the restaurant we met.  Cara ordered coffee; I a  martini.  Even though Cara is 15 years older than I am, I was proud I could still be the bad influence -- she switched to wine, joined by Ronnie.  We had a great chat, about days past and those to come.  The check came, and they tried to pay, but I told them my rule: WOMEN never pay...they liked that rule.

Wifey dropped off a nicely buzzed, slightly overheated dude at home, and I blissfully watched football -- 2 games in a row.  Wifey went to spend some quality time with her mother, who, at the rehab place, is coming up with new and creative complaints about the care there...

The two dogs who watched football with me had zero complaints.  In fact, they told me they were happy to be inside, with the air conditioning, as this record December heat plays out.

Up in NYC, D2 had a record cold day.  We talked as she walked to work -- her hands hurt from the cold, even with warm gloves.  I reminded her she's a tropical girl, and living in northern climes is an affront to her birthright...

She'll be here soon enough -- this coming Saturday.  I'll fetch her from MIA, and let the warm, humid air chase away the chill.  My sister Sue always knows she arrives in Miami -- she says you can smell the tropical air as soon as you leave the airport...

Sunday is, of course, a special day.  Millions of people hang lights, decorate trees, and meet to exchange gifts, all to honor their Lord and Savior.  As my friend Jeff pointed out, Wifey is our personal lord and savior.  It's her birthday -- a big one whose number cannot be revealed, even though it's one lower than Mantle and Maris's record setting home run total...

I have a large table reserved at Tropical Chinese, although no Ds' boyfriends will be there.  Jonathan arrives a few days later, and Joey will be in Utah skiing with his buddies.  Still, we will gather and toast and eat dim sum, and wish Wifey healthy and happy returns...

And maybe, when we leave the restaurant, it'll be just a tad cooler...

No comments: