Thursday, December 29, 2016

It's Like The Fun Never Ends

So late December through early January is always a hectic time for us -- Wifey's birthday, New Year's Eve, and our wedding anniversary January 3.  This year it's even more packed than usual...

Tuesday I got a message from my old law school friend Cheryl.  She and Neal, her husband, and their two boys, were staying near MIA en route to a yacht charter from St. Thomas.  Could we meet for dinner?  We could.

I had them Uber to a little known Argentine/Italian place called Basilico, on 36th street, just north of the MIA runways.  We had a great meal, and learned about their boy Riley's new job -- computer engineer with Drop Box.  Case is in 8th grade and kind of just tolerated all of us.  Perfectly normal.

Neal has become THE record producer in LA, and is up for 4 Grammys this year.  He is so humble -- we had to really pull the details out of him.  Two of his acts are Sara Bareilles and 21 Pilots.

Cheryl has one of the sharpest wits I know, and she is still in fine form.  They're attending a Neal family wedding after their sailing trip, and she was hilarious about the coming party.  After dinner, we piled them into my little girlie Caddy for the short drive back to their hotel.  It was nice to see them.

After a great Wifey-mas, as D1 called it, I realized my beloved Canes were playing on Wednesday night -- last night.  So I invited my posse over (D2 rolls her eyes severely when I refer to my middle aged friends, all white, as "posse.").

During the day, I actually did go to the office and do a bit of work, while Wifey and the Ds, D1's future suegra and sister in law, and a few more friends, went on a quest.  This was a heroic journey -- a pilgrimage, in fact.  They went in search of D1's wedding dress.

Apparently, this is some kind of big deal to brides.  Turned out the posse of women had a great time -- lunch, and only 2 bridal shops -- one in the Design District, and one out on Bird Road that sells "lightly loved" dresses.  I'm told D1 said yes to a dress, and seems now ready for the Big Fat Colombian wedding in September...

Meanwhile, Dr. Barry and Scott arrived, Stella beer and gourmet donuts in hand.  We were going to watch the game up in our football room, but as the cocktails were poured, decided to stay downstairs and watch there.  Next Dr. Kenny came, bringing wings, and then Mike with his boy Chris, and surprise guests daughter Amanda and puppy Chewy.  I hadn't seen Amanda, long one of my favorites, in too long, and it was great to catch up with her and her life in the City of Lost Angels...

Chewy was happily welcomed by our strange infestation of dogs, although none of them were too interested in the Canes.  Next, Norman came, also with beer in tow.  I ordered 5 extra large pizzas from Big Cheese, the UM approved place, and the party was on.

It was delightful.  D2 had come home, and she and her first friend Amanda caught up, making much fun of their fathers, who met when they were three younger than the girls are now.  We talked of Canes from days of yore...

And the Canes won.  Big.  20 years ago, the Canes beat the same team, West Virginia, and it heralded a rebirth of the program, after mediocrity in the mid 90s.  We're hoping this win likewise is a springboard to greater things for our beloved orange and green...

The guests left, Wifey came home tired from a visit to her Mom in rehab, with news the old woman is being discharged Friday.  So now the real fun will begin -- live ins versus nursing home.  D2 left to see her friends Catherine and Tara -- in town from Atlanta and Tally, where they're both finishing law school.

And tonight there's more!  D2's boyfriend Jonathan's family is having us over for dinner...so we'll cruise up to Aventura for that.  I left my little girlie Caddy for service, and they gave me a loaner -- a Caddy SUV.  I like it much more than my regular car.  I'm in no rush to get my car back -- so we'll take the loaner on the never open road...

Saturday if, of course, NYE.  We're going to a neighborhood party at Loni and Mike's.  D1 and Joey have a party in Broward, and D2 and Jonathan are going to BarDot -- a great name bar that I visited years ago.

But wait! There's more!  This week has been like one of those TV ads...don't answer yet!!! Our anniversary is Tuesday, and D2 heads back to NYC.  And then we're meeting our British friends for dinner on the 6th.

And we have to now deal with Wifey's ancient mother -- nursing home versus live in?  So I guess the fun eventually DOES end...

No comments: