Thursday, November 17, 2016

Commuting With D2

I don't have too many regrets in life, but one is that I never lived in NYC.  I grew up on Long Island, and NYC was the place your Dad worked, and your visited to see a show or have a great dinner or see a museum.  Since I've been a lawyer, I've visited countless times -- depos, client meetings, etc...But I never actually lived there.

Well, sometimes you really DO get to do things through your kids.  My late Mom wasn't a big Disney fan, since she was sane, but did love to visit to see it "through the kids' eyes," with grandkids in tow.  And over the past year and several months, I get to feel like I truly live in NYC...

D2 lives in Murray Hill, and walks back and forth to work each day to her job in Macy's headquarters.  The walk takes about 15 minutes, and since I'm always up early, is the time she calls and we catch up.  I LOVE to be her company, as she shares the tales of living in the world's greatest city.  She narrates her walk well -- and I give her the moral courage she needs to fight through her biggest fear -- pigeons.

She never minded them before, and in fact, as a gorgeous toddler, loved the chase them. One of our loveliest memories is a trip we took to D.C. when the Ds were 3 and 6, and they chased squirrels and pigeons around the Mall, for hours... But living in NYC, and being a bit of a germaphobe, D2 has grown to dislike these flying rats, and every once in awhile, finds herself chased by a flock of them as they take flight...and I'm there to virtually hold her hand and get her by, intact.

Of course, I bring D2 up to date on the essential tales of our life here -- especially the exploits of Bo, her beloved special needs Spaniel.  She misses the little guy, and always loves to FaceTime (tm) with him.  He sits next to me most of the time during D2's commutes, so he feels he's a part of the NYC experience, too, though I can't imagine him being tough enough to actually live in that city. He's a tropical Spaniel...

In the evenings, I get to hear the sounds of the city -- the never ending sirens, and chatter. As D2 passes restaurants and pubs, there is the loud talk of happy hour young folks...and then I get to hear the clangs and clings of the bells in Trader Joes, as D2 stops in for her few times a week grocery purchases...

And then there is the evening greeting of the doorman, and finally the elevator bell.  I always sigh and thank the Big Man that she made it home safely...

At this stage of my life, I have no desire to live in NYC. I love to visit, but find that after about three days, I'm ready for more quiet.  Wifey feels otherwise, or says she does. She wants to live in a place where she can walk to get groceries, or coffee...live out a lifestyle more like D2 has.  Not me -- I love coming home and seeing trees -- not necessarily people.  In NYC there are ALWAYS people -- everywhere.

So for now, while D2 is there, I get to share in the place...the weather, the events.  Just today I heard the Christmas music that surrounds Macy's, during this "most wonderful time."  D2's already so over that part of the city...

She's due in early T Day am, and then back here the following month, to ring in her Mom's big birthday with her, and then greet 2017 with us, her family.  And then we're coming up during balmy February, to celebrate D2's 25th birthday.

I'll get my fill of NYC, and enjoy feeling a part of it each morning and night...

No comments: