Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Bad News Tuesday

So I was up bright and early yesterday (4 am) per usual for this aging man, and started emailing politically incorrect political jokes to my buddies around 5, so Dr. Barry figured I was up as he commuted to work at 7, and called.  We happily caught up on politics, both national and the never ending professional type he deals with, and I was enjoying my talk, when Mirta clicked in.  I answered, as she typically doesn't call that early: her brother had died that morning.

I never met Felix, but knew all about him. Two of his sons were grade school classmates of D2, and one of the boys has gone on to great success in the food industry. Apparently Felix had heart issues secondary to diabetes, and he collapsed at home and died. He was 53 -- same age as Dr. Barry, as Barry happily reminded me when I called him back.

Mirta wasn't everyday close to her brother, but still was shocked and saddened by his death. We talked awhile, and then followed up last night. The funeral is Thursday -- an all night wake, and I plan to stop by later in the evening. Felix had 6 kids -- 17 through 30, and I really feel for them. Losing your Dad isn't a happy occurrence...

And then I got a text from a friend visiting from out of state -- her son is facing major criminal charges.  She wanted to meet Wifey and me for lunch, but Wifey bowed out, so I did my best over dim sum to listen and comfort. The details don't matter, but the feelings do, and our friend is devastated, of course.  Her late 20s son, with no prior criminal history, might be facing prison into his middle age. As the Ds would say, I can't even...

The cliches are cliches because they're true: we have to savor and enjoy each moment, each day.  In a NY minute, as the song says, everything can change.  The phone call isn't about a routine appointment -- it may herald news of a too soon death.

To that end, I plan to fully dive into the coming joy of next week. D2 is due in around 1 am T Day morning --and Dadber (Uber, but provided by Dad) will be at MIA. I told D2 that her cost of using Dadber is a late night Cuban sandwich with me (actually very early morning) at Pinecrest Bakery, open 24 hours.

Then Thursday, we're hosting the Ds, D1's fiance and his Mom, and D2's boyfriend and his family, at Christy's.  The martinis should flow, and we will toast our amazing kids.

Sunday, D1 turns 28.  I'm still trying to figure out this warp of the time-space continuum, which allows me, a 30 year old man, to have a 28 year old daughter.  Regardless, we will celebrate together, before D2 jets back to NYC...

So, Big Man willing, that will be our week.  For now, though, there's a time to mourn, and empathize...

No comments: