Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Adios Castro El Monstro

So I woke up at 4 am Friday morning, and checked the news, and saw that the old bastard finally died.  I smiled.

Unless you live in Miami, and have close Cuban friends, Castro is just a distant idea of a revolutionary -- I used to think of him as portrayed by Woody Allen in "Bananas."  But in truth, he was an awful tyrant.

My friend Pete was my first close Cuban friend. We met as freshmen in 1979.  I learned from him about his uncles who had been shot for merely questioning the bearded one.  Later, my buddy Jorge, during what seemed endless nights discussing the world, shared with me his family's story, which was typical of Miami Cubans: successful lives, everything taken by the government, forced to start over in Miami.

The truth is, Cuba was developing, even under the thug Batista. And Castro came in and promised a bright future. But he set Cuba back decades -- the place now is a caricature -- poverty everywhere, many trained doctors but no money for supplies, selling to tourists to get by.

When I hear my ultra lib friends tout Castro, and his "literacy rates" and "racial equality," all I can think of is then why has 15% of the population fled?

In the 90s, we had "balseros," of those who fled in rafts.  My secretary and friend Norma met one -- Raul.  He had been a naval architect in Cuba, so the joke went that everyone wanted on HIS raft.  He made it here, and within a short time, started his own business -- which thrives today.  It employs many -- including my dear friend Mirta, who is the office manager.  Norma has been able to live her dream -- retiring young, and being a loving and full time grandmother to her 2 beautiful grandsons.

I joke that I owe Castro thanks -- had he not taken over, I would have missed out on friendships that have greatly enriched my life. Miami would be a fraction of what it is -- more like Central Florida -- without the vibrancy, culture, and know how the Cubans brought.

But the main thing is the old bastard if gone, finally.  I texted Jorge -- he's blessed that his parents, though elderly, lived to see the monster die.  There have been many of celebrations in Miami already -- apparently a huge one is in the works tomorrow.

I had Wifey believing that Gloria Estefan celebrated by running topless over the bridge to Star Island, where she lives.  "Well that's not classy," said Wifey, before I admitted I made that up.

I still have a hope of visiting Cuba -- and in honor of my friends, promised I wouldn't until Castro died.  So maybe now, sooner than later, I'll take the 35 minute flight from MIA to Havana, buy myself a new guayabara and white Panama hat, and stroll into La Floridita and order a Cuba Libre.  I want to see the Hemingway stuff -- apparently they preserved his house in great condition.

At least now, with the old witch dead, I can go...

No comments: