Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Peacemake No More

There's a coming schism among a group of my friends engaged in business together, and they wish me to mediate the dispute. In years past, I would jump right in, listen to both sides, and convince them to get together over strong drink and work things out. I don't play that no more... My friend Dr. Barry has had that rold at his large medical center for years. Everyone comes to him for his calm and wise counsel. I remember when we used to take our thrice weekly morning walks, and he would tell me about the latest kindergarten-type dispute among the enormous egos who made up his work life. I pointed out that he was like the character Alex Rieger in "Taxi,"--played by Judd Hirsch. Alex was always the voice of calm and reason between the loving buy zany cabbies and their misanthrope boss, Louie DePalma, played by Danny DeVito. Alex took all the suffering upon himself. Barry still does this. The newest resident to the most senior colleague expect him to be the fixer. He accepts that role, even though the dysfunction stays with him -- bringing him more frustration and anger. I've always said Barry was the better person than I am. When the heat gets turned up, these days, I simply walk away. As I age and presumably gather more wisdom, I understand that people have their own sacred agendas, and getting them to change takes more energy than this nearly 54 year old guy has. At my office, one of the young lawyers, Michelle, has taken to calling me "the oracle," because she says I see the key issues in cases instantly, and usually know a solution that's both effective and economical. It's a nice complement, but what amazes me is how few of my peers or even senior lawyers have this simple ability. Handling PI cases is not planning routes for brain tumor removal, or calculating rocket launch speeds...What we do is so simple: converting white paper (legal files) to green paper (money for clients and ourselves). So I offer the advice, and sit back and continue to be disappointed when folks I tell should go from A to B instead choose to go from A to X to Y to C and maybe eventually to B. It could be much worse -- I could still be working for others. I was fortunate to have as my longest lived boss a senior attorney I'll call Ed, since that's his name, and he was a true genius. He would have insight into cases that would amaze me, along with a no give a crap demeanor that would force results his way. Other bosses I had, either dumber or only ego motivated, were untenable for me. D1 shares this characteristic. She LOATHES following superiors' commands she knows is stupid. And she's doing something about it more productive than showing up one day with an automatic weapon: she's starting her own practice. She'll have no guarantee of success, but she'll do it, like the Chairman sang, her way. So these disputes will continue, with both sides mired in inertia, and reluctance to confront. Eventually things will explode, but money will be involved, not human health. And I will SMH, as the kids say, but no longer judge or give advice. No one listens, really, anyway.

No comments: