Monday, June 8, 2015

Stuff Breaking Down

Ah, the joys of owning a big house, expecially one that's aging. So yesterday I went out to feed my pond fish, and noticed that fountain was off. I have a surface aerating fountain that keeps the small pond well oxygenated for the koi and cichlids. After Hurricane Wilma, where we lost power for several weeks, all of the larger fish died, and I realized it was because they need the aeration. So I dragged the thing to shore, messed with it, and realized it had finally broken. As it was installed in 1997, I figured it had a pretty good run. I looked up replacements on the web, and learned the damn things are EXPENSIVE -- around $1500! So this am I have to travel to Homestead to my pond guy and lay out the bucks. In turning off the power to the outside outlets, I somehow messed up something in the garage -- I can't get back power to half of that room. I went through all the breakers, and can't figure it out. So the garage fridge is now off, and, nearly tragically, the outlet supplying power to our UVerse box was out. Tragedy was avoided: I ran an extension cord to an inside outlet so Wifey and the Ds could watch "Game of Thrones" together. I am only slightly more handy than my Dad was. The joke was he could fix anything that could be fixed with Scotch tape. I can usually figure out what the problem is, but am inept at repairs. So today I have a new electrician coming over. It seemed we lived in our LI house forever, but in truth we were there 17 years. In hindsight, we probably moved before the major repairs were needed -- like a new roof. We've bought this place nearly 15 years ago, and the place was completed in '97, so as we near the 20 year mark, more is sure to break and break down. I more and more see the beauty of renting -- just call the landlord when there's a problem and say, essentially, "it sucks to be you." The Buddhists really are on to something -- when you own something, it owns you. As if on cue, this am I notice a new grinding sound in our family room A/C. D1 is sleeping over -- I imagine she noticed it, too, though after a weekend of full work followed by babysitting for some wealthy folks in town, she is so knocked out she may have slept through it. Fortunately we DO have a great A/C guy -- Danny, referred by great friend Norman. He replaced one of our FOUR !!! units last year, and I have a feeling we have a new job for him coming up. Wifey, who has ZERO understanding about these things, keeps asking "WHY is EVERYthing falling apaaart?" Hey -- the house is nearly 20, and we live in the Tropics. I'm happy stuff has lasted this long. Last night we went to see the new Brian Wilson movie with my friend Kenny. His wife, a law professor, was out of town -- she helps write Bar Exam questions for the national group charged with that most awful of jobs. I was venting to him, and he said, with his typical wisdom, that he had a great handyman, Nelson, and every month he had him over to fix stuff on the "Nelson list." Apparently Nelson can do everything. So I'll be calling him today. I have a garage entry door that needs replacing, along with some garage ceiling repairs that occurred as a result of the "mold remediation" we had done in the room above the garage. Hopefully Nelson will be a great addition to our house -- he is for Kenny and his family. Norman's Dad Max told me some time ago that any problem that can be fixed with money is not a real problem. I have told this sage advice to several friends, one of whom had a rejoinder: "Yes -- spoken by someone who HAS a lot of money." But it's true -- may these problems be as bad as it gets -- the annoyances of owning an aging house. Sometimes an electrician or plumber or handyman or lawyer or even doctor can't solve the real problems.

No comments: