Monday, December 29, 2014

Sunday at the Stadium

So Norman gave some Club seats to Dr. Barry, to see his beloved Jersey Jets play the Fins, and Barry asked me if I wished to tag along. By the way, D1 informed us that his medical residents refer to him as "Big Daddy G," which from this point forward will be his name for me, too. Anyway, BDG said if his wife Donna wanted out, I would be in, and I planned to go watch the wacky King Mango Strut in the Grove with visiting Boston friends Sheryl and Mark. But BDG went ahead and bought an extra Club Seat, and I wasn't about to pass up an afternoon spent with my nephews of another brother, Scott and Josh. So I fired up the mid sized Caddy and coasted up to Aventura, to meet at Mo's Bagels. Mo's is great -- co owned by a guy named Mohammed, who figured correctly that using his full name wouldn't sell too much deli in heavily Jewish Aventura. The place is co owned by Paul, a Venezuelan Jew, and the place is always loud and rocking. Yesterday was no exception. I charmed my way to a table even though my "party wasn't all here," and soon BDG, Donna, and large sons Scott and Josh arrived. And they ARE large -- Scott especially so, and now even little brother Josh is well over 6 feet, and SOLID. I hugged him and realized he has the shoulders and arms to play football, though he prefers music and computers... We feasted, and then sat in some traffic to the stadium. It was a hot, sunny afternoon, and the game, though meaningless (both teams finished out of the playoffs) was entertaining -- a former Cane, Lamar Miller, broke off a 97 yard run, and the Jets pulled off a great fake field goal that sealed the game for them. BDG and sons enjoyed it, and Donna enjoyed being with her troop of very large men. It was terrific. They dropped me off at the Mo's lot, and checked out my new whip, as D2 taught me the rappers now call cars. Wifey was enjoying a birthday movie and dinner with some of her friends, and the Ds had a sister night planned -- also a movie, and then dinner in South Miami. Today I'll hit the office for some end of the year paperwork, and also to fetch a new computer D2 ordered -- using AMEX points, happily. The one I bought her lasted through college and 1/2 of her Master's program, and is now slowing down. Meanwhile, D2 got all As again. She only told me when I asked. My girl has simply torn up academics at UF... I got a FaceBook message that a long lost friend, Jeff, wants to come by and visit, while they're in Miami to get on a cruise ship. We were close in college, and then, for reasons still unknown, he cut off contact with me and our group of boys... Anyway, he was one of my groomsmen, and is coming to visit Saturday, which is Wifey and my 28th wedding anniversary. It'll be nice to catch up.

No comments: