Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Heavy Drinking

My beloved late mother Sunny once remarked to my father in law that he REALLY seemed to be enjoying his meal -- probably Canton's "Special Steak" -- a staple when we all went to dinner. His reply: "Ven I eat, I EAT. Ven I don't eat, I don't eat." And so it is with me and alcohol. I can go weeks without a drink, but when I do, I enjoy getting a bit, well, loose...This happens at social events, and, in particular, Canes tailgate parties. I never drive afterwards, especially after a scare some years ago, following an evening at Capital Grille with Big Daddy G and Jorge the judge. I ran a light in the Gables, and was pulled over. After I gave my license and registration, another Gables squad car arrived. I called my friend Steve the cop, sure I was being taken in. I wasn't drunk, but did have a couple of large martinis. Instead, the nice young cop apologetically said he HAD to give me a ticket for running the light, and I needed to be more careful. I graciously accepted the ticket -- so relieved, and swore off ever putting myself in that situation again. Steve called back -- I told him to stand down -- no need for his help. He called his buddy in the Department, and somehow the speeding ticket got lost, too. It's great to have friends in the right places. Speaking of friends, following the FSU game, where we had an awesome tailgate, even though host Norman was out of town, Dr. Eric casually mentioned that maybe I ought to drink less -- Barry's boys looked up to me, and what example was I setting for them? I adore Eric, but he has a difficult time letting go, though I know he meant well. So, at the next game, I drank not at all, and it was sort of , well, boring. At the party Eric had for Dana, even though they had Stoli for me, I took 2 sips of the toasting champagne -- nothing more. It was a nice time, but not a GREAT time. At last weekend's Fins game, I drank not at all. It was terrific to be with Big Daddy G and his wife and sons, but, well -- football games are much better with a little ethyl alcohol. So I've decided to make an early New Year's resolution -- to drink MORE in '15. Not too often, but at celebratory times, I shall NOT be moderate. Ven I drink, I vill drink! First up -- NYE at Salvatore's with Norman and Deb and Wifey -- with teetotaler Wifey driving. Here's to a great '15. L'Chaim!

No comments: