Saturday, December 6, 2014

Guest Season

Wifey and I have always enjoyed hosting house guests, even when we had a one bedroom apartment. Typically, high season for guests is T Day through New Years, and we're at the height of it now. Back when we lived in Les Chalet, a place whose name was classier than it was, our living room would often be littered with northerners here to escape the cold. We'd usually host New Years Eve parties, and having overnihght guests made it more festive. I remember one year -- my high school friends Kenny, Eric, and Jeannie stayed, along with Kenny's beautiful in a spooky way Albanian girlfriend. We attended a NYE party hosted by Mark and Steve, two brothers who allowed their father Norman, a donut shop owner, to realize his dream of saying "My son the lawyer, and my son the doctor." It was a great party, but my friend Jeff and I wandered over to some law school mates' apartment, and lost track of the time. This was pre cell phone. Wifey took my friends home, and when I showed around 3 am, was MIGHTY angry. She had every right to be, and I feel bad about that night to this day... When we bought our first house, a 1400 square foot place in Kendall, our tradition continued -- hosting my sisters and their families when we got married, and many friends thereafter. The year after we got married, my high school friend Eric stayed, as well as Wifey's cousin Sandy and his wife Felicity. Elizabeth was married to a rock and roll singer, and at the NYE party he took out his Stratocaster and played for us. It was one awesome, kick ass party, and Wifey and I hosted. Now, at our oversized house, the tradition continues. This year Elizabeth was back for TDay, and this weekend we have Edna, Marc, and Edna's awesome daughters. Last night we hosted a sushi party, and D1 brought her new boyfriend. We drank vodka and wine, and ate, and laughed. It was a terrific night, sitting around out dining room table, trading tales of old and new. D1 and her man left, taking Lauren with them. Lauren was in search of Art Basel fun, and will stay here tonight, along with her sister Erica. Edna and Marc are hosting us all at Christy's -- our favorite Gables restaurant. Tomorrow there's a 90th birthday party for Edna's father, and Mirta, my sister of another mother, is joining us all. Mirta and I met for coffee the other afternoon, and we compared notes about thus hosting thing. Mirta, like us, always has a son or friend or grandchild or two, living with her. She savors it, as we do. She told me about a friend of hers who keeps a lovely house, and never lets anyone stay over, for fear of damaging her pretty knickknacks. Mirta laughed at the thought -- collectibles over grandkids! Edna and family are leaving tomorrow, for Atlanta and, in Lauren's case, NYC. Our next registered guests are Sheryl and HER man Mark, coming from Boston. They'll help us ring in 2015. It's good to have people in our house...

No comments: