Sunday, December 14, 2014

I Defy You to Find a Single Cloud In This Morning's Impossibly Blue Sky

It was a crisp 59 at 7 this am, and after I fed her, I swear the strange rescue dog spoke to me. I simply opened the door to let her out, but she stayed and pleased me to take her for a walk. It was simply too gorgeous to be confined to our yard, she made me understand. So off we went, after noticing the Herald hadn't been delivered. I've been a loyal subscriber for over 30 years, and I think in that time, over the 6 different addresses we've had, maybe the paper was late or missing a total of 10 times. In the past year, I've already hit that total. I think maybe the Herald wants to do away with print versions -- online is cheaper and easier -- or maybe the latest guy just isn't up to the job of getting up so early. Anyway, Vienna and I set off. She was so happy to be walking in the chill air -- I guess fur coats are made for cooler weather than we usually have here. All of our dogs seemed to perk up on cold mornings -- except maybe my Ds two spoiled Spaniels -- warm works well for them. Anyway, I soon came upon Irv, my spry 90 something neighbor, waiting at his curb. He was annoyed that there was no Herald as well -- like me he's a news addict. But it was lucky there was a late delivery -- IRv and I caught up on the state of our beloved Canes, and the city in general. He told me he started at the U in '46, and has been a "Golden Cane" since the program started. Irv is an outlier among the very old -- sharp as a tack, and still enjoying his life. I joked that the key is a hot young wife -- Kay is probably 20 years younger than he is -- and he said I may be right. As we chatted, the old Buick rumbled up, and the carrier handed Irv his paper --with a Spanish accented "sorry I'm late." The strange dog and I said goodbye, and Go Canes, and continued on. Around the bend she started to whimper -- she spotted a Cavalier Spaniel just like her sister Madeleine -- but this one spoke Spanish -- Peca -- which means freckle. Her owner/Dad Dan was walking her, and he and I caught up as well. Dan is a Mexican Jew, and his best childhood friend, Jose, also lives in our 'hood -- he's a prominent neurologist and professor at the U. Dan is a real estate developer, and his business is lately booming. We talked about our kids -- his son goes to Cornell, and his daughter is in high school, and he shared excitedly that his wife's father is taking the whole family to Argentina for an awesome trip. Monica, his wife, has sisters, and her Dad is paying full fare for 20 people -- great meals in Buenos Aires (Airees, Wifey pronounces it) and a trip to Patagonia. I told him Argentina is the one place in South America I want to visit. As we chatted, Bailey the pug ambled over to join our little group. Bill, her owner, was in tow. Bill is an Irish guy from Boston, whose wife is an international businesswoman, and so the talk turned to Argentina. Bill is headed to Colorado with his kids, but home in time for New Years Eve, so he can "fall asleep in his own bed at midnight." We soon parted, and the strnange sausage rescue dog led me home. The sky was surreally beautiful. I'm glad I listened this am to the dog.

No comments: