Saturday, February 22, 2014

Turn and Face the Strange Changes

I haven't been too excited about my law practice the past several years. I work at it, doing my favorite things, which include getting new business and strategizing about the cases' handling, but things had become pretty rote and boring. And then, a major change hit! One of the team has decided to move to Orlando, to take a real peach of a job where he merely works cases for a major marketing guy for a salary of $500K, and this forced us to re align and re jigger our operation. And it looks like we have. A dear old friend, a guy I've known since I was a mere clerk and he was a young lawyer, is ready to make a move. He was also sort of languishing at another firm -- focused on raising a teenaged daughter after the tragic death of his wife. Well, the girl is now a college freshman, and although my buddy is no spring chicken, he wants to really kick things up for the next 5- 10 years. At the same time, my great friend Joel had brought in a young Turk -- a former 3 year prosecutor who's got his own growing practice in the criminal world, and wants to learn the PI biz. The fellow is a quick study, energetic, and a great young man -- with real world experience including a stint as a bouncer at a rap club in Atlanta -- despite his being, well, VERY white. My partner Stu and I met with the new guys last night at Trulucks, my local watering hole. We're down to one familiar bartender, the Peruano Victor, but he spotted us and brought us our drinks through the packed bar. We laughted, and toasted the future, and for the first time in awhile, I'm professionally excited. I joked that I want to be the Don Shula -- figuring out each person't talents, and using them to the fullest. John and Stu will be the experienced trial guys, and Vince the energetic associate. Paul can take the role of case manager -- being in charge of money -- he negotiates better than any lawyer in the city. We should really be a force to reckon with. So, appropriately, baseball season is starting up. Pitchers and catchers report to camp tomorrow. And I'm hearing John Fogarty's classic "Centerfield" lyrics in my head: "Well, I spent some time with the Mudville 9 -- watching it from the bench...but now it's put me in coach, I'm realdy to play, today." If we hit it really big, I might pursue the dream I've had for awhile -- starting a full time charitable foundation. If not -- well, at least our fraternity of over aged pledges ought to share a hell of a lot of laughs.

No comments: