Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Sad Week

Today marks one week since Mom died. I spent the day after reflecting, and then drinking with my friend and neighbor Pat. Monday I was at the office -- embroiled in a staff screw up which hurt a case --all piss and vinegar, as they say. But as the week moved on, I felt a sadness surrounding me like a cold, Northeast fog. Mom's death was expected, and given the way she was at the end, it was a relief. But still -- the finality is a bit crushing. So I spent much of the week laying low -- not leaving the house. Wifey brought in dinner. I was, after all, having my one man shiva... Today I'm headed up to Mom's condo with dear friend Mirta. Mirta is a true angel. She kept vigil with my Mom the first night of hospice. Throughout the past year, she dutifully visited once per week, despite her crazy busy schedule of nursing school and grandma duties. She wants to help me say goodbye. I have just a few things to fetch out of the apartment. My sister and brother in law are leaving on a 2 week vacation, and they are charged with the task of selling Mom's condo when they return. I'll be relieved when that happens. Although Mom moved in, with my father, 34 years ago next month, the place NEVER seemed like home to me. Part of it was it was a just a waypoint on my journey to college, but a big part was how much my Dad disliked the concrete block nature of the place. When you look out a window -- you see a PARKING LOT! Mom kept that window shaded, but still. That said, Wednesday night I had dinner with Eric, Dana, and Eric's Mom and sister, Norma and Elissa. They took me to an Italian place in Weston. Eric told tales of visits to Kings Point, and they were happy ones: Mom's corned beef dinners, and my father sneaking us into the condo commando guarded pool in military-like operations. So maybe my memories are too harsh. Still --it'll be nice to be done with the condo... On happier fronts, D1 is cruising through her internships. She has 2 more to go, and then the long, winding road of "gradual school," as we call it, comes to an end. She and I attended the opening of the new UM Crohns and Colitis Center --dragging Barry along. It's a spiffy new place, and it would be a great first job for D1. The Director LOVES D1 -- so we'll see. D2 finished her finals, and I pulled info out of her like I was pulling teeth: she kept her perfect 4.0 GPA -- now through her junior year! Chris Rock says they don't give grades for being a Daddy -- but it your daughter becomes a stripper, you get a F! I'm blessed to be on the other end of that spectrum with my lovely daughters. So life goes on, sans Mom. D2 is due home tomorrow, and I look MOST forward to the reunion.

No comments: