Tuesday, May 7, 2013

And the Teams Are At Full Strength

So I went to the office and strategized a case with my legal brothers, and D2 called from Ft. Drum -- on her way back from Gainesville. She stayed an extra week after her final final because her boyfriend's family asked her to take part in the festivities surrounding the graduation of their older boy... D2 hopped in her red Volvo (the car of choice for over protective parents with some means -- as D1 told me) and fought off love bugs and crapping birds for 5 hours. She arrived at my office, and I whisked her around, bragging about her college achievements to my co workers. If there's a prouder Daddy than I am, I don't know who he is. I bought her a sandwich and I had a yogurt, and we talked of things. Mostly the death of my Mom. D2 is down to two grandparents now, and her grandfather's Alzheimer's disease continues its horrible march. Then some cell phone coordination led to a meeting at Berries in the Grove -- one of D1 and my favorites, but never visited by D2 or Wifey. We met there and toasted D2's arrival and Grandma Sunny's life. While we were at dinner, the funeral director left me a voicemail that my mother's death certificates had come in, and were being mailed to me. So in the eyes of Florida and Miami Dade County, she's really, most sincerely gone. D1 left the spoiled spaniel with us, and D2, Wifey, and I watched the Heat lose to the Bulls. I still think they'll win another championship -- they were rusty from a week off -- a victim of their own awesomeness. If not -- I won't despair. It's not like when the CANES lose, for Pete's sake... And so D2 is sleeping peacefully in her bed. The spoiled spaniel and strange, undetermined rescue dog await her arrival in the family room. She's taking the GRE in June, and is off today in search of some prep books. Other than that, she gets to chillax, as the young ones say, until late June when she leaves for a semester in Spain. So it's looking like a summer for her that doesn't suck... It's just wonderful to have the Ds both back in Miami. The dogs agree...

No comments: