Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Back To Prison

So after a great breakfast with Norman and his firstborn Jonathan, at LOL, it was back to prison for me. I hadn't seen Jonathan since he left for Kentucky -- 5 years passed, and it was a treat to catch up with him and his Dad. I picked up His Holiness, the rabbi, and off we went to Far South Miami Dade. Rabbi Yossi first led the men in a discussion about the need to be lamplighters -- making the world better for others-irrespective of their current states. The assembly told us how much they appreciated the place, and reaffirmed that even though they were convicted sex offenders, armed robbers, drug dealers, and beaters up of Broward Sherriff's Deputies -- they were still Jews -- they complained about the crappy food, treatment by uneducated guards, etc... Next we crossed the parking lot and visited the women. The talk was the same, but I was taken by sadness -- since I'm the father of daughters. As the Rabbi spoke his message of hope and light, I noticed the woman next to me was named Alyssa -- a classic, late 20th century Jewish American girl name. In fact, D1's roommie is Alyssa. Prison Alyssa dealt drugs and burgled houses to support her habit. Last night -- I checked her out online -- she will be in prison until she is 70. What did her family do to deserve that? Maybe there was pathology -- certainly my own extended family has its share, and attendant issues --but still. I headed home, and took a neighborhood walk with D2 and the strange sausage-like dog that's been staying with us for 2 years now. We never really get a sense we own Vienna -- she just sort of arrived, and may just bolt at any time. I wrote an email of gratitude to the Ds and Wifey, on the heels of the Oklahoma City tornado -- about how much I appreciate our lives. As I lay in bed, I reflected about the Ds and their futures. Their choiced are manifold. D1 friend Alyssa has a terrific job, and a boyfriend who adores her. She was probably out playing evening soccer and then having some drinks. Prison Alyssa was in her bunk with her bunky or bunkies -- lights out at 930 pm. Life's not fair. Thankfully it can often still be exquisite.

No comments: