Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sociality

Monday night I had drinks with my old banker friend Carole, over at Fox's. We were joined by Vince, who had an hour to kill before a movie date. Carole and Vince enjoyed meeting -- they were both at FSU in the late 70s -- the infamous time of Ted Bundy -- and shared tales of close encounters with his (Ted's, not Vince's) victims. Vince left, and Carole and I stayed and talked, and she shared with me her experiences of her trip to Israel. She's a devoted member of a Catholic church, and went with a church group, and it was interesting to hear that take on Wifey's ancestral home versus my usual news from the Birthright (tm) crew. I've known Carole since 1988, ever since I joined my first PI firm, and Carole was there banker at SunBank. I savor Carole's laugh and good humor. She's never married, and is a devoted aunt, sister, and daughter to aging parents. Her father is a retired lawyer, and in dementia now believes he owns virtually every major property and business in Miami. Carole and her mother deal with these delusions lovingly. I told Carole she was in a select group -- people I still enjoy socializing with. She was surprised --she always thinks of me as a very social person -- at every party, no matter who's throwing it. No, I said, I had become far more discerning about my time. Carole loved that word --taught to her by nuns at Lourdes -- her Catholic high school. So a Long Island public school raised Jew and Miami Catholic school girl agreed on a major issue... I have a friend who used to be out and about town more, and now is far more lazy and domesticated. I joke he has low testosterone. Sure enough, he recently saw his family doctor and that was the diagnosis! But, as he's been married 11 years, and is the father of 2 small kids -- his low T is probably a good thing. Carole asked what I wanted from life -- since she knows how lucky I've been so far. I told her another 25 years would be great -- get me to the mid 70s -- let me have the joy of grandkids and maybe some more epic laughs with friends -- and then a quick exit. As I see the alternative, of "extreme aging," I know it's not my desire. In the mean time, not much to do but keep on keeping on. Tomorrow night my low T friend is hosting a men's night out -- at a Lauderdale Italian place I've long wanted to visit. I'm told the guests wear track suits, and many have broken noses, and the food is authentic Brooklyn'South Philly Sicilian. The plan is for about 8 of us -- some Jews, a couple of Italians, and even a token Irish guy. We range in age from the mid 40s to the late 70s. There will be a few martinis, diet killing food, and I'm sure, laughter and the sharing of wisdom and bullshit. Verities and balderdash, as Harry Chapin called it. Now that's my idea of a social night.

No comments: