Saturday, December 29, 2012

Different Strokes

So as D2 and I returned last night, we met a sorority sister, and later, as a local sushi place, some old friends dining with another couple. The sister and couple vehemently disagreed when we said we didn't see how folks wanted to live in NYC climes -- it was the best place on earth, they said. The couple, who I thought was named Cohen but had another classic Jewish name (D2 and I laughed at my confusion of what one friend once dubbed "Deja Jew") said they were from there and missed the "seasons." Good for them: I wish them many happy steps off curbs into slushy, filthy water. I guess there truly are 2 weather camps: those who like it tropical and those who don't. D2 and I and Wifey and D1 are firmly in the tropical camp...though as Wifey has passed a certain age (she hates it when I say "post menopausal" or "barren") she has less tolerance for Miami summers, and craves cooler weather. All I know is, early this am I let the dogs out, and fetched the paper in warm, humid air, and it felt great. My ears didn't hurt, as they did walking down 5th Avenue yesterday. Also this am, I ran into my neighbor Doc Goddard -- the oldest practicing dermatologist in Florida. He's such a fine, courtly man --with mutton chop sideburns and a way about him that suggests a turn of the century gentleman. He's a native New Yorker like I am -- we compared notes about closed delis and Katz's -- still open and his favorite -- and then he winced when talking about the weather. Like me -- he thinks it's for the birds. Plus, I figure, all the sun in Miami has been good for his business... So I reaffirmed I truly have sand in my shoes -- and I'm staying put. Hopefully the Ds will, too, and we can, if we're so lucky, share in grandkids living very close. And next trip to NY will, I've decided, be in the Fall or Spring. Those are the liveable times there...

No comments: