Saturday, December 22, 2012

Like Finding A $20 Bill In My Pocket

Ah, life's little pleasures. Finding a $20 bill you didn't know you had is one of them. I just had a modern day equivalent, thanks to the Hyundai Motor Corporation. I had a mostly negative experience with my Hyundai Genesis, which I lease three Novembers passed. The car tried to compete with the Lexus, and fell short in quality and service. I had a dustup with the company when the windshield washer fluid resevoir broke, and the dealer told me it was my fault. I wrote to the company, and their investigation consisted of talking to the dealer -- who repeated what they said to me! They then nicely told me to pound sand. My seat kept breaking, each time after Wifey had driven the car and moved it all the way forward -- leaving me driving comically with my knees against my chin. The mechanic told me Hyundai tried to make the car look like a Lexus "but they use cheap parts -- and they keep breaking." Anyway, I turned the car in early and went back to a Lexus -- albeit a little girlie hybrid model. But the quality is there -- after 7 months, there have been zero problems, and the free service is top notch. They truly figured out this car thing. I continue to get mail and email from Hyundai -- asking me how happy I am. I toss it, but noticed a thicker than usual envelope the other day. Sure enough, it had a prepaid Master Card with a $100 balance -- to thank me for my "loyal ownership." At first I figured it was one of these scams that are only valid if you go test drive at a dealer -- but it was legitimate. I gave the card to D2, who called to activate it, and just needed the VIN for the crappy car. I had it -- kept in my envelope of old car lease agreements, and the card was turned on. Yesterday D2 used it to buy lunch in the Grove, so we know it works. So Hyundai sucked, but their incompetence paid off, in a small way. There IS such a thing as a free Korean lunch...

No comments: