Monday, December 17, 2012

Lazy Sunday

I had plans to finish the Sunday Herald, take a walk with Wifey, and then go visit Ancient Mom, but the plans, like many of men, were changed. First, my partner and friend Paul called, saying he was visiting our local Rabbi friend with his sister and brother in law -- to see about a charitable gift in memory of their late mother Lillian. Paul stopped by, and the minutes flew as we talked and talked. D2 joined us, awake at the crack of 2pm, and Wifey brought out some of her mother's cake and tea. Ah -- tea and cake on a Sunday afternoon. What really changes from our peoples' days on the Lower East Side? Paul left for dinner with his girlfriend in Aventura, and D2 was hungry, so we fired up the girlie Lexus and headed to South Miami, for one of our go to spots: Deli Lane. We ate wtaps and salads, and then decamped across the street for some high tech yogurt. They place a block of frozen yogurt into a machine, and mix it, and out comes creamy deliciousness. The Ds were veterans at the place; I enjoyed my rookie experience. And then D2 and Wifey indulged me, and agreed to go take an early evening stroll around my beloved U. Much of the campus is under construction, but we still enjoyed vistas of Lake Osceola, and laughed at the mullet jumping out of the water, pursued by tarpon and diving birds. We made our way to the Green, and took photos at the new, controversial steel "U" sculpture. I had read the thing cost $25K, and many students opposed it, but it's a neat focal point. Hell -- it attracted us. There were 2 other young ladies at the sculpture as well, and we offered to take photos for them. Sure enough, one of them was a visiting Gator junior, and D2 and she realized they had met and shared several friends in common. The Gator lady was visiting her Cane friend a D.C. area blonde, and we compared notes over our 30 year different experiences at UM. Back when I attended, the U was rising above the Sun Tan U image, and my friends and I were recruited to expand an Honors Program which became the model for the entire school. The grades and SAT scores I needed to get a 1/2 tuition scholarship probably aren't enough for admission any more -- and I was proud of that. I just hope the increased competitiveness leaves room for the prodigious amounts of fun we had. Looking back, among my high school friends, I had by far the best college experience of any one. I hope this continues for current and future Canes. All work and no play... We returned home, and D2 took off for her dear friend Ben's house, for a "Homeland" watch party. Wifey was glued to the set as well. I took a book about comedy writers and polished it off on our upstairs terrace. The night breeze was cool, and lovely. I'll visit ancient Mom today, on the way to the office. Sunday turned out to be a day for the young, or at least younger.

No comments: