Monday, February 13, 2012

Young and Old

Saturday night Wifey and I had some friends over for sushi and drinks. A LOT of drinks, as it turned out, as well as some other recreational materials not usually seen around Villa Wifey. It was not our typical party, but we had lots of fun, and I was feeling rather youthful.

Yesterday we went to Merrick Park to see D1, who was doing some modeling for her Junior League group. Joel and Lisa were there, and we chatted happily, and then left for lunch.

Wifey had a hankering for Canton's "Special Wonton" soup, but they don't open until 2, and it was just past one. I suggested we stop at the Starbucks at UM on the way, to kill the hour. We did, and Wifey mentioned she had never been inside the main UM library. I have an alumni card, and the helpful work study student allowed us in.

The place was packed! I mean, we couldn't find a seat to read (Wifey found a book about Jewish cinema she liked). So instead, I took her to the stacks, to show her my favorite old study space.

It's on the 9th floor, and looks out on the Biltmore Hotel in the distance. Sure enough, the carrels are still there. Between the visit, and the college-like party of the night before, I was feeling, well, in my early 20s...

We got on the elevator along with a few students, a young fellow and a young lady. I pushed the button for the first floor, and the young lady helpfully remarked that there was no exit there. I thanked her, and she said "It's my pleasure, SIR."

"SIR?" Didn't she mean to say "dude," or "cutie?" And the way she said it was worse, in a very formal and respectful way, like I might be her professor or something. Or worse, a Dean, or other senior university administrator.

We walked out into the glorious Miami winter sunshine, and Wifey was tickeld. "Sir, sir" she kept mocking. Yes, I've become a sir, with one daughter in grad school, and the younger one more than halfway done with college. Even at my beloved U, the scene of so many treasured memories for me as a young man, they now see me as an old one.

We went to Canton, and the "Special Wonton" soup wasn't that special. It used to be packed with shrimp, and pork, and chicken; now there are a few small morsels.

I guess the soup, like me, has become older and less vital.

Sir, indeed.

No comments: