Friday, February 17, 2012

Mo Momentum

So the U had a huge campaign to raise money some years ago, and it was a huge success: over $1.4 billion with a "B" was raised. U Florida announced a campaign last year to raise $1.5 billion, so the U figured they had to out do the Gators, and last night announced a new $1.SIX billion dollar campaign: Momentum 2.

Wifey and I were invited, since somehow, over the years since I graduated, we've become "UM Founders," meaning we've given cumulative gifts of over $100K. A good deal of that was money I had to give to the Hurricane Club, to secure my football tickets, but I guess the gifts added up since, oh, about 1987, when I started giving back.

The truth is, I always felt a major debt to the U, as it gave me the connections that led to all my career success, and much of my personal. I mean, had I not attended grad school there, I wouldn't have met Wifey, and there'd be no Ds (or at least OTHER Ds or Ss), and so on...

Mike and Loni were also invited, as Mike has been a major Hurricane Club donor as well.

Anyway, we all attended the kickoff campaign last night. Wifey and I got placed at the Pediatrics table, and Mike and Loni were across the room with the Cane Club. The planners did a great job converting the basketball arena into a jungle themed social hall, although the "cocktails" promised were only wine. Bah! I like my vodka at social events. I was forced to rely on my dwindling sober charm...

Dr. Barry's boss Steve was there, with his brilliant doctor scientist wife Tracie, along with some other Dr. Barry partners... There was also the son of the Peds Department's biggest benefactors, who I'll call Jon, since that's his name. Jon is a terrific guy --we both realized that we had met in '87 when I was defending his Dad's charter airline company in a crash case. His wife Nancy is a succesful realtor, and also there were other aviation company folks, who give a lot to Peds.

There were boring speeches, and Wifey and I felt like the whole night was like a time share come on: you get a meal, but have to listen to the spiel.

But then came some cool news: during the "silent period" of the campaign, the U had already raised over $900 million, so they were over half way to the goal. And, with that, a lawyer who chairs a major Diabetes Research charity pledged another $100 million! And the gnome-like president of the U, Donna Shalala, announced other new gifts totaling over $30 million. Lot of money love to my alma mater...

Then the "secret performer" arrived. I had advance notice of who it was going to be: a cryptic email from an insider earlier in the afternoon that said simply "Dancing Gopher." I recognized the clue right away: the dancing gopher was from the classic comedy "Caddyshack," and it's music was by Kenny Loggins...

Kenny played with the UM student "Mancini Orchestra," which the Music School Dean Shelly Berg brought with him from USC, when he came to the U some years back. They're the top college orchestra in the US, and they were rocking.

Loggins was terrific. He played some hits, like "This is It," and then played the lovely "House on Pooh Corner" with only his acoustic guitar, still in fine, high voice.

Then a neat thing happened. He played "Footloose," and the rich, white guests rushed the stage and began to dance. Mostly gowned women did it, and they truly got into the spirit. Loggins seemed to love it, and he kept the jam going as more and more folks joined.

Wifey and I even danced to a power ballad, and this was WITHOUT vodka fueling my dancing shoes -- a rare occurrence.

After the Loggins show, the full marching band came in, and played the U fight song. It was truly a cool moment -- they put on quite a show.

There's no doubt the U has come a long way from the time I attended. My fellow Honors Students were truly the "pale few at SunTan U" back then. Now, the student body is absurdly smarter than it was, and the facilities are gorgeous.

I remember a lot of coral rock littered spaces; now the campus is the true tropical garden the last president, Tad Foote, envisioned and put into place.

So, still on the college motif, Wifey and I are headed up to UF, for D2's sorority's family weekend. We're car pooling with Norman, who has a national fraternity meeting (he's on the national board), and our neighbor and friend Susan, who is going to attend HER sorority's 50th anniversary celebration.

Susan's husband PAt, another proud Gator, asked if we were bringing a case of Heinekken in the car...

So, bravo UM! I truly love the place, and am so proud to watch them soar. Now if only the football team would win the ACC for once...

No comments: