Friday, February 24, 2012

Back From NYC

So there's still some law business to be done, and I volunteered to go to NYC to do it: a meeting with an engineering consultant about one of our cases.

But, as I become older and more spoiled, there can NEVER be business sans pleasure, so I decided to fly up a day early to knock about the City.

I got on an early AA flight, and learned there would be no upgrade to First. I've gotten spoiled -- the last several flights I took (to D.C. and Philly) were upgrades. First is less service than coach used to be, but at least the seats are human sized. As I poured myself into 13 D on the 757, the LEAST comfortable jet in the AA fleet, I looked in horror as an enormous man asked me to get in.

He was carrying a Peruvian passport. Aren't those guys usually of modest size? Not this fellow: he was offensive lineman sized, and with shoulders as broad as I'd sat beside in many years. He fell asleep, and I scrunched myself to the side.

The Ds and Wifey once said that in a coach seat, I look like Shrek. I felt like him on this flight.

Still, I arrived at LGA, and walked around Times Square. I scored a ticket to "Book of Mormon," to my Ds chagrin, as they desperately want to see it, too.

I grabbed a bite at a New Orleans place, and went to the theatre. The hype is true: it was the funniest, best musical I've seen in awhile. The sarcasm was razor sharp, the choreography terrific, and the songs all singable. Still it was TRULY blasphemous -- mostly about the aburdity of the Mormon faith. It was hilarious, too.

I had free time the next day, so took the A Train, but not to Harlem. I wanted to see the 9/11 Memorial. I got right in, and stood by the enormous fountain. The museum opens later in the year.

A young security guard gave me a nice explanation about the compromise of the family members, who wanted essentially a cemetary, and the pressing needs of commerce, which needed the billions in revenue. It seems the compromise works -- the site is solemn, and the office towers are nearly complete.

What a stunt those psychopaths pulled 10 years ago. Awful, of course.

I grabbed the train back uptown, and had my meeting, which went fine. The guy is a keeper!

Then back to LGA, and a nice wait for the flight home.

I always feel the same about NYC --greatest city in the world, but the thought of living there is so awful to me. The crowds are too daunting, and the place is just TOO MUCH in every way.

I've become spoiled by life here in the Tropics, with the gorgeous foliage, and relatively easier time of things.

On the flight home, the AA Captain announced the Heat had defeated the Knicks. A small ovation broke out.

It was a nice homecoming...

No comments: