Friday, November 11, 2011

Tallahasee Lassie

We're off, in a few hours, to the great North of Florida. Wifey has to be at UF for D2's mother/daughter sorority weekend, and the Canes happen to be playing FSU, so I hit upon the idea of combining the two events.

My friend Mike is driving up later with his boy Chris, and Chris's friend, and Wifey and I plan to fetch my partner Paul and his boy, Alex. Paul and Alex want to visit their nephew and cousin Grant, who is a UF freshman (or will be in January --he'll be transfering in from the community college), and so a bunch of us all have reasons to visit Gainesville en route to FSU...

Tonight is men's night out on University Avenue. The Gators are off at South Carolina. I actually feel bad for them about that team, lead by Steve Spurrier, their prodigal son, who has made SC a better team than the Gators...

Saturday we'll make the 2 hour drive North, to, essentially South Georgia, and tailgate before our underdog Canes give it a go against the Noles...

I haven't been to Tally in 20 years. In 1991, my old boss Ed's pilot Tom owed me a favor for handling some traffic court cases for him, and he agreed to fly me, my brother in law Dennis, and friend Mike up to Tally to watch the Canes. We flew up on his Cessna 400, and watched what became a historic game, now known as "Wide Right I."

20 years gone by...D2 was still in utero, and D1 was an adorable toddler. My hair was brown, and my belly a bit less, um , prominent.

Wifey looks forward to some major bonding time with D2. She missed most of D1's sorority weekends because of a long time bad back, but Wifey's now back, and ready for travel!

Sunday, Paul and Alex are flying back, and so the rest of us will hopefully convene at the Flying Biscuit for a farewell breakfast. The whole wheat peach pancakes ought to be plenty to sustain us for the long drive home...

So, Go Canes! I already received a great email --D1 sent a photo of my granddog Mads wearing a UM cap.

And go, D2 --loving UF, but keeping her Canes fan cred. Just as well --the Gators are in for a long, dry spell with their Gomer Pyle-sounding new coach.

The road beckons...

No comments: