Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Election

I think the whole sorority thing is pretty silly, but the Ds have enjoyed their time there. And, I have to admit, I AM impressed by some of the charity work they do: UF has a Dance Marathon each Spring, and last year that event raised nearly 3/4 of a million dollars for UF Children's Hospital.

Still, much of the sorority thing is an extension of middle school social mores, with cliques forming, power plays, etc...

D2 decided to run for some office, and drew an opponent. According to D1, who analyzes these things like George Stephanopolous analyzes American politics, D2 was the superior candidate...and had the clear vote of the "cooler" girls, whatever that means. The election was last night.

I got an IM from D1, learning that, surprisingly, D2 lost to the "dorky" opponent. D1 was VERY upset for her sister, and theorized that D2 lost because of a "revenge of the nerds" factor. D1 feared this rare loss in life would greatly hurt D2.

Wifey and I sprang into action! I emailed D2 a tale of one of my life's biggest disappointments, when I was denied a job offer from the prestigious law firm where I clerked. I was shocked, that summer of 1985 -- I had worked my tail off, charmed everyone, and, most important, just KNEW the job was mine...

Like D2, I was sort of spoiled by getting most of what I wanted in life, based on charm and a deep aggressiveness disguised by that charm. D2 is a LOT like I am in that way.

Well, the firm ended up offering the job to 2 of the 4 clerks. One, who I'll call Chris, since that's his name, ended up rejecting THEM, in favor of another firm where he is now senior partner, and provides my friend Barry and I with countless hours of making fun of him because of what an impressive looking, yet underlying twit, he is. The other candidate, Susan, stayed at the firm a few years, and then left to clerk for a Federal Magistrate, where she remains today.

My fellow loser, Charlie, ended up VERY succesful in Atlanta, as a Labor lawyer.

So there, I empathized with D2...

Wifey made an emergency call to the Midnight Cookie store in Gainesville --to deliver a batch of fresh baked goods to D2 with the message that, of course, she was ALWAYS our winner, in everything.

D2 texted, and called, and told us how much she appreciates and loves all of us.

I was teary eyed, too. I couldn't care less about the stupid election, of course, but cared immensely that D1 was so fiercely protective of and caring about, her sister.

The Ds are quite different, in many ways, but they ARE each other's best friends, and will be for life. That happened to be one of my main parental goals, and Wifey and I have been blessed with success in that department.

So the family system worked. One of our number had a disappointment, and the other 3 scrambled into action.

I am humbled and proud.

And D2, calling late last night with a mouthful of cookie, reported that said cookies were scrumptious...

No comments: