Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sabado Gigante

What a banner Saturday I had! I read the paper and drank my coffee, and then got a call from D1, up uncharacteristically early, on her way to a Yoga class outside in the Grove. Did I want to go to the Book Fair with her? Of course I did!

My blessings with the Ds truly fill a cup that runneth over. They like me, and want to hang with me!

I picked up D1, and we drove to my office, and then boarded the People Mover for the Book Fair.

We love the People Mover. It's a driverless transit system that has several loops around Miami. It's free, and used to be a joke, since few folks rode it, except people like me --young lawyers who used to kill some time after court and before returning to my office --in the late 80s --it had amazing views.

Still does. D1 and I enjoyed the ride, and I bored her with some of my deep history of Miami talks...

We got to the Fair, and immediately did the most important activity --got some fair food. We bought delicious Greek salads with lamb, and shared a table with 2 lovely lesbians and their clearly adopted children. (The Lesbians looked to be from Minnesota or Oklahoma --the kids from a far more Southern latitude).

We then walked, and bought some books (D1 a history of the Brickell family --I bought a history of Burdines to give to my mother in law, who worked at the store for nearly 20 years). Wifey saw my purchase this am, and I asked if she thought Rachel would like it. "Probably not --she only likes stories about the Holocaust!" Ha! Serves me right for trying to be a stellar son in law -- I keep wasting my time in that regard...

Anyway --back to the happy day: D1 and I ran into Dr. Dave, and chatted with him about his recent trip to the sub continent. D1 and I agreed, after hearing about it, that India was not on our list of must see places...

I dropped off D1, who sent me a lovely text, and then headed home in time to watch my beloved Canes on TV. Yawn!

Norman picked me up, and then we fetched his S 3 --Benjamin --a UM sophomore. Norman, like me, is blessed with wonderful kids. Benjy is a musical prodigy and, like his brother Michael, equipped with a fine sense of humor.

We drove, the three of us, to Sunrise --boring Benjy with tales of the U from back in the day, when Norman and I were undergrads...

We arrived at the Sawgrass Cheesecake Factory, and met Jim. Now our foursome ate, drank, and watched the end of the Canes game, which our boys won on a last second field goal. Double yawn...the best thing about this football season is that it's nearly over...

We then walked to the hockey arena (I think it's the BankAtlantic Center, but I never keep up on the corporate names). We laughed. A lot.

Even Benjy, not yet 20, gets the Borscht Belt humor his father Norman, Jim, and I treasure. We're politically INcorrect. Jim regaled us with a tale about his boy playing hockey with a kid from a race not generally known for producing hockey players. We concluded the child has an Uncle DaQuan with a vicious sense of humor...

The Panthers won a close game. The arena was wonderfully chilly.

We said goodbye to Jim, and then enjoyed our ride back to Coral Gables --more tales of the U and the ZBT fraternity.

Norman dropped me off, and Wifey was fast asleep. She had a banner day, too --spending it with her dear friend Cara and, I later learned, analyzing and discussing all that is wrong with men... The Wifey equivalent to a great Canes game!

Today, the TV beckons. The Dolphins are on -- and this season they are a perfect backdrop for a Sunday nap...

It's truly the most wonderful time of the year.

No comments: