Thursday, November 10, 2011

Speedy Delivery, Speedy Delivery...

I used to love that Alka Seltzer cartoon --the little delivery boy zipping around, to show how fast Alka Seltzer works on your heartburn. Or, as my friend Jim used to say when the Canes were losing: "Christ --I need a bicarb!"

So last night, Wifey shared a small anecdote. She had a visit from an old college friend, whose sister lives not too far away. The sister doesn't work, and is an empty nester like we are.

The sister dropped off the friend, and Wifey invited her in. The sister is an old friend, too, who we've socialized with. She begged off the invite -seeming frazzled and in the middle of things, although it was around 6 pm.

I get a big kick out of folks who truly have little to do, and act as if they're working in a MASH unit. What causes this? Self importance? Denial of their sedentary natures?

Wifey and I met at Shula's. I got a ride from my office roommate Brian, as I was car-less yesterday. Wifey was a bit annoyed at the disrespect.

I guess the alternative is the sister really doesn's like Wifey or me. 3 years ago, we had her and her husband over, with other friends, and the talk turned to politics. I made the mistake of saying I didn't like Obama too much, and the talk got ugly...maybe she has lasting anger...

Whatever. Wifey and I both find more and more annoyance with people as we age. She's actually better at keeping up with friends from the past than I am. I just let folks go, unless I truly enjoy their company.

Tomorrow we're heading up North. D2's sorority is hosting mother'daughter weekend, and I'm using Gainesville as a base for a trip to Tally to watch the Canes play the Noles.

I'm driving up with Paul, Alex, and Wifey, and my friend Mike is taking his boy Chris and Chris's friend. We'll drop Wifey at the sorority house, and then have a men's night at a few UF area sports bars. Saturday we'll drive to Tally and tailgate.

I haven't been there since the amazing Wide Right I game. It doesn't seem that long ago, but it was...

It's nice to have time to spend with friends. And I may even need some Alka Seltzer on Saturday...

No comments: