Friday, November 25, 2011

Coll-ige

Well, as expected, Thanksgiving turned out to be all we hoped and more. D2, Josh, Wifey and I fired up the Hyundai and headed to Key Biscayne, where we parked the Korean piece of auto in valet, surrounded by Bentleys, Benzes, BMWs, etc...

If I let my ego be affected by the car I drive, well, I would have been in serious need of Prozac. At least the valet didn't laugh out loud when he took my key fob.

The hotel, as always, was magical, with attendants rushing to offer hot cider, as guests walked to and fro. We made our way to the restuarant, and found that D1's reservations had landed us in a private room, still in ear shot of the guitarist, who strummed mellow tunes...

D1, her boyfriend, and his family arrived, and we greeted like old friends. They were lovely folks, of course. We drank more than our share of mimosas, and selected from the 7!! different stations, with the most delicious food around.

Round one, I stuck to the traditional turkey, stuffing, prime rib, and cranberries. Round two, I went for the seafood thing: shrimp, oysters, king crab claws, and some delicious sushi thrown in for good measure.

We chatted, and drank, and laughed, and then we strolled to the water for some photos. On the way back, we stopped in the bar and pulled chairs up to the leather sofas. Wifey, Joel's folks, and I talked about how blessed we were with our kids and their boyfriends/girlfriends.

At home, my old high school friend Marcy and I exchanged messages on FaceBook (tm), about colleges. Her daughters go to very expensive private schools in the Northeast (Emily Dickenson College?). Actually, I think one goes to Smith.

Marcy is justly proud of her girls, but I keep thinking how silly the whole obsession is about where the kids go to school.

The public intellectual David Brooks always preaches that life partner choice is so much more significant --the essence of one's happiness or misery -- and yet our generation of helicopter parents spends little time coaching that, and a huge amount worrying where to send the kids for 4 years of parties and inter personal dramas...

It occurred to me, as I reflected on my many blessings related to the Ds, that I'm most thankful for the choices they make in the young men in their lives. They do great academically, and I'm happy for that, but on a much deeper level it's who they choose to be around.

D2 spent the night at her boyfriend Josh's parents' house, and Josh is due to drop her off later at Barry's place, for the drive to the final Canes game of the season. D1 will stay here, and help Wifey prepare for tomorrow's brunch with a house full of Hoosiers...

The Ds are young, and I have no idea if they'll end up with these fine young men forever...but they're picking well, in my view, and that's all that counts.

No comments: