Saturday, June 11, 2011

Youts

D2's been enjoying a languid summer vacation. She sleeps late, which is one of her favorite things, and spends her time hanging around, doing errands, decompressing from college. She worked hard and earned a 4.0 GPA, so I love that she's taking a well deserved break. She's only here another few weeks before heading back to UF to start a research project with a Gator professor.

Last night, several friends dropped by. Ben, her friend since middle school, and his usual harem. Ben reminds me a lot of myself -- I was always surrounded my female friends in high school and college. Ben has two brothers and I think he enjoys the change.

Rebecca came, too. She's my favorite Seminole, and then Alex the Badger and Elise the Terrapin showed up as well. Wifey and I hung around for awhile, enjoying the company of these fine youts, as Joe Peschi called them in "My Cousin Vinny." And then we went upstairs, leaving them to their yout-fullness...

I just hope they appreciate this time in their lives. I know I did. Even as a young man, I had a sense of appreciation for those years --the exquisiteness of hanging with friends, and learning human nature together.

Some of my peers were always uneasy. They were in a rush to finish college, and then grad school --to start the business of adult business. I looked forward to it as well, but savored the trip to the future. I wish this all the time for my Ds...

D1 called yesterday from an upscale restaurant, where she was hired in her second official job. She worked in a clothing store as a high school student, but since then has babysat and worked as a home organizer and au pair, but now gets to fill out the W-4 again...

The job is perfect for her --weekends only --so it won't interfere with grad school classes, and the money she earns can satisfy her shopping addiction.

A young banker friend came over last evening, to buy some of Wifey's jewelry. Lourdes is in her mid 30s, and showed us pictures of her tow kids, 3 and 5. She chatted with D2, and I showed Lourdes pictures of D2 when SHE was 3. It doesn't seem possible that more than a decade and a half have passed.

So here's to lazy summers, and the glory of youth. I do my best to reclaim this for myself as often as possible.

No comments: