Thursday, June 23, 2011

Streets of Philadelphia

So there's still a bit of law business to do, and it took me to Philly for about 30 hours. My partner Paul's a native, and his old friend Lou lives there in the Summer. Leave it to Paul: he called Lou and asked him to squire me around when I arrived.

Tuesday was a travel day, and sure enough, there was Lou at the airport, picking me up with some cold water and delicious cut up cantelope.

Lou retired years ago, and lives in the house he grew up in in Northeast Philly. He LOVES the horses, and spends most days at the track or OTB, meeting his many friends. He comes to Florida each winter, and does the same here at Gulfstream.

The man is a model of a zen like existence. He lives well and simply, with few attachments. He's dated ladies over the years, but found the complications outweigh the upside. He's a terrific companion --happy to share a good meal and good conversation. I always savor my time with him, whether in Florida of up North.

So Lou set up lunch with one of his track mates --Frank, a retired city worker. We went to a place in South Philly right out of a time machine. EVERYONE there was Italian, except for Lou and me, and we're Northeastern Jews, which is as close as you can get.

The waitress Anna Maria brought us delicious lentil soup, and chicken and veal parm, and Chianti. The veal is "the best in the city." And sure enough, just as I was remembering Michael Corleone getting up to take a leak, in walked an older gentleman.

Conversation stopped, for a moment. Frank told us that, in his day, the fellow was very powerful in the city. He was courtly and gracious. Frank introduced us, and we joked about my hometown "The girls still as pretty there as I remember, Dave?" I told him they were, but that Hialeah Race TRack was no longer as elegant, though it may be coming back...

The food was delicious. For dessert, there was an almond cookie and lemon cake "only make it in the summer." I tried to pay the bill, and the waitress smirked and handed back my credit card: "Cash only, and you only pay after espresso --enjoy your time here."

The older gentleman left, and he and Frank kissed and hugged. "Lou," he said, "FRank is a fine gentleman." Lou said he knew.

Lou got up to take a leak, and secretly paid, with cash. But then Anna Maria handed him too much change. Lou tried to correct her, but then she said the older gentleman paid.

Frank told us that was typical for him. I thanked Frank, and told him now he HAD to let me reciprocate in South Florida. Frank was planning on coming to go to a few sessions at Gulfstream with Lou, probably in January.

And so my welcome to Philly was a warm one.

Lou dropped me at the hotel, and we said in the gorgeous lobby, and talked and laughed.

The trip was already a success...

No comments: