Sunday, June 19, 2011

Erev Mule Day

So we hadn't socialized with our friend Rob for awhile, and last Saturday our group of old Canes fans friends went to his house. Due to a freak of scheduling, last night the same group got together with Becky, his ex wife.

Mike made reservations for Christy's, my favorite restaurant. Wifey and I arrived first, at the wonderful and tiny piano bar. On the way in, we ran into some fellow parents from the grade school years, whose daughter and son ended up at UF with D1. We joked that we all hadn't aged...even though our "children" were in grad school or working at first jobs...

The bar has 7 stools, and soon Becky, Mike, Loni, Paul and Darriel filled them all. We caught up with Becky's new life in Dallas, including a boyfriend who I thought she said owned an oil company, but it turns out works for an oil company. I told her if it was the former --I'D be interested in dating him...

2 Ketel Ones later, we went to our table. Christy's has a great deal this summer --salad, entree, and dessert for $35. I had a WONDERFUL filet, and Wifey had her usual salmon. The laughs and memories continued to flow.

I handed Wifey the car keys (like Clapton in one of her favorite songs) and we left for home. A few blocks away, there was a vile odor. Wifey immediately announced it wasn't her. No --this was the unmistakeable scent of wet, fresh, squished dog shit.

I looked down, and sure enough, there it was -- enveloping most of my right shoe. This clearly was the product of a seriously large dog --mastiff at the smallest.

We opened the windows, and I tried to clean off as much as I could --and held the shoe outside as we drove down US 1. We laughed heartily --as did the occupants of the cars who saw me and knew immediately what had happened.

Into each life, some dog crap must appear...

I just finished cleaning out my car's mats, and am ready for another day...

D2 is up in Weston, visiting her friend Josh. She's due back in a few hours. We'll head to Brickell, after D1 gets off work, and celebrate Mule Day at a sushi place next to my office.

They already slipped on my gift --after I quite ungracefully told them I wanted NOTHING except my annual emails. They bought me a Kindle, which I really DID want, but hadn't got around to buying...

And their emails, sent after midnight, moved me to tears...

So tonight, I figure the only thing I have to do is look down when I walk.

No comments: