Sunday, June 5, 2011

Country Club

Last week was one of serious drinking. On Thursday I met my friend and neighbor Pat at Truluck's, with plans to be joined by Stuart. I got there early, as usual (one of my most annoying habits --I'm early for EVERYTHING), and sat at the bar.

A fellow about my age noticed I was working on a pleading, and remarked that it must be great to be a lawyer, and bill time while enjoying a martini. I laughted, and we struck up a conversation.

He was the CEO of a litigation support company I knew well. He had moved here from Minneapolis a few months ago, and was just getting the lay of the land here. When Stuart arrived, we realized that he was a client of the company's, and, right away, had much in common. Next Pat arrived, and the 4 of us enjoyed another drink and good male conversation.

Stuart left, and our new friend talked about his company and venture capital, etc...I did what I do best: made a connection. I told him he needed to speak to Pat, as Pat's company recently acquired a VC group, who had millions burning holes in their pockets...

I told him about Pat's country club, and Pat seized upon the opportunity: inviting our new friend for a happy hour on Friday. He asked me to come along.

And so, I was inducted into a SECOND night of drinks, at the old club. I'd been there with Pat several times before, and always get a kick out of it. I think they admitted their first Jew about 1985, and the club is really still old "Miamuh" though it's slowly turning a bit more modern.

So I met Pat, and then our friend Richard came, along with his artist fiancee. We enjoyed a lovely night, and, in fact, business might well get done.

After a few, though, the talk turned to politics, among a developer, corporate lawyer, Pat, and our new friend Richard. The talk was who would be the GOP candidate in the next presidential election.

Somehow, I was asked my thoughts, and I said I was an Obama guy. I got, literally, sideways looks. I have a feeling I was the only guy in the whole club (except for the servers) who likes our current prez...

The conversation stayed polite, but now I'm reminded to not expose my true political identity at a Gables country club.

As I left, I thanked the young lady at the bar who brought our drinks. She was Hispanic in appearance. I asked where her family was from. "Mexico," she replied. I knew she had overheard some of our conversation. "Well I bet YOU like Obama!" I said.

She smiled, and wouldn't verbally admit it...

No comments: