Sunday, October 31, 2010

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

For years I've wanted to join a country club, but I'm too cheap and don't play golf. I really enjoy the concept of going to a place where I'm known, and folks are happy to see me. I think there's an idea for a sitcom here...maybe I could set it in Boston, with quirky characters at a bar...

I tend to go to the same pubs over and over. My haunts are Fox's in South Miami, where Nelson the boricua has been a waiter for years. Nelson always treats my guests and me wonderfully, and a torch has even been passed: last year, D1 spent New Year's Eve there with some friends, and Nelson feted her and her boyfriend Thomas like rock stars...

Now comes Trulucks. Three years ago, our landlord SunTrust booted us out of our first floor office space, and moved us up to floor number 4. They paid for everything, and gave us a sweetheart deal on rent, so it was ok. Their plan was to put in an upscale restaurant and bar, and at first it was to be Roy's.

I visited Roy's in Orlando once, and found it pretentious and overrated, with a bunch of sugary fish dishes that were WAY overpriced. For some reason, Roy's got off the hook (HA!) and the deal never took place. Our old office space lay fallow for over 2 years...

Finally, we learned that Trulucks was moving in. This is another small, upscale chain, based in Austin, Texas. We all watched the place take shape over the past 6 months. Finally, they opened last week.

I strolled in with my buddy Joel, and immediately fell in love. I guess I love the idea that drinks are now served and a piano is played in the rooms where we used to make law, not love... The memories of that space, now covered in wood paneling, will last forever...

I met the bartenders Ian, George, and Daniel. All three are college educated, cool fellows. They served premium cocktails which cost only $7 from 430 until 7. This is half price for Brickell area places...

We chatted and became fast friends, immediately. A few more folks joined Joel and me. The bill came, and it was for $48. Nicely buzzed by my 3 Ketel Ones, I called the 3 fellows over and asked if a $10 tip was acceptable. Daniel answered "Of course --that's more than 20%!" Instead I put in a tip of $100, and told them it was not a mistake, but that I planned to come in often, and expected to be treated like Norm and Cliff in "Cheers."

Well, it worked. The next night, Ilde, the Houston raised, Cuban born manager, saw me in the building. He asked me to come back to Trulucks. I did, and he insisted on buying me a drink. We established my place at the bar (southwest corner, where my old conference room was).

I was hooked. In the 2 weeks the place has been open, I've stopped in 7 times. I introduced my partner Paul, and he fell in love, too. We've already had 2 business dinners there, one with a lawyer friend who owes us money, and the second with Stuart, who is taking over my office space on November 15th, as I fade into the legal sunset...

So last night, I took Wifey, the Ds, and their dear friend Andrea, a UF sophomore. The hostess seated us in the private room, where I plan to host a celebration or two. The singer sang Sinatra.

The food was delicious. We shared stone crabs, a ribeye steak, and some seabass. The ladies shared the signature dessert -- a chocolate sack. The name already brought many titters on a previous visit, but it is excellent.

My 3 bartender buddies and gave my party a huge play. I told him D1, now living on Brickell and about to turn 22, was allowed to order at the bar; D2 and Andrea has a few years to go yet...

We laughed and toasted and enjoyed Andrea's humor, which is dryer than my Ketel One martinis at the bar...

The manager Ilde came over. It was lovely.

The bill came, and as usual, for such an upscale place, was reasonable: about $240 for the 5 of us.

I handed my credit card to the waiter, Sam, and he came back showing my balance was $1. "Dinner tonight is on Ilde," he said.

I smiled and the ladies erupted in laughter and applause. Ilde came over, and the Ds and Andrea sang "We love Ilde..."

It was terrific. Even Wifey was impressed --she said she felt like Carmella Soprano.

Had I been there with a date, this event would have DEFINITELY led to sex...

As it was, it was lovely. I'm due back there Tuesday for lunch, with 2 bankers who used to work for SunTrust in the building, and now work for a small, private bank.

That bank has courtside Heat tickets, which I hope to score for the Ds. I couldn't care less about the Heat. Sports have died for me, with the decline of my beloved Canes...

So, here's to Ilde and the Trulucks clan. I believe this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

No comments: