Monday, October 18, 2010

Schism

Wifey doesn't cook, and never did, but she DOES satisfy my hunger for reading by taking out a great stream of books from our local library.

Years ago, she decided she wanted to cut down on clutter, and her target was by purchase of books. She noted correctly that I'd buy them, read them, and then just keep them for years. So, she started using the library, and it worked.

Now, I only buy books when I'm on vacation, or visitng Books and Books, our favorite independent.

The latest tome to show up on my night stand is called "The Big Sort" by a Texas reporter. He wrote it along with a UT political scientist, and it's about the separation of American politics --not by red/blue state, but by community.

He talks about his liberal neighborhood in Austin, and how anyone even breathing conservative thoughts is ostracized. I'm guessing the message will be that unless we do better at listening to each other, we're doomed to separate cultures that will end our country. (I'm taking the book with me on my planned 20 hour visit to Gainesville tomorrow to see D2).

In my experience, the book is dead on. I've always prided myself on my open mindedness. I have close friends who are VERY conservative, and I consider them brilliant.

But, it's rare my liberal and conservative friends even listen to each other. Last year, one of D2's friends, the child of a Democratic Party activist, marvelled that I was friends with someone I'll call Mike (since that's his name). The friend said "Wow --my parents could NEVER be friends with someone who voted for Bush."

Years ago, during the primary season, we hosted some friends for dinner and wine. These were classic "precious" liberals. I mentioned that I preferred Hillary Clinton to Obama, and the women there (not Wifey) attacked me to the point of social uncomfortability. I think it may have been the 4 bottles of Stag's Leap Syrah I had served, but these women looked like they wanted to kill me, since I pointed out the irony of these so called feminists tossing Hillary under the bus in favor of the more liberal Obama...

Miami's a weird place politically. The classic Cuban conservatives really ought to be Democrats, but will never forgive Kennedy for the failed Bay of Pigs invasion, and continue to equate Democrats with Communists. The Jews, having achieved material success, ought to vote Republican for their own interest, but maintain their love, via their parents, for FDR and Truman, and also maintain a wariness about the Religious Right that keeps them backing the Donkeys...

"The Big Sort" talks about neighbors who no longer post political thoughts on list servers. I should learn from that --I always take flak from some conservative folks whenever I bash the evangelicals...

Major election is coming up. I guess we'll find out soon if Florida is headed back to the Right, or not.

In the meantime, I hope to keep up the discourse with my friends, even when I have to tweak the liberals...

No comments: